Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: External hard drive
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users External hard drive Post 303000210 by edfair on Thursday 6th of July 2017 09:42:18 AM
Old 07-06-2017
My experience is with older stuff but this is what was required:
Since there is no hardware link to a new device the first step is to create it"
Code:
mkdev hd

which creates the link in /dev
Then create the identity for the file systems you want on it:
In my case
Code:
divvy /dev/hdx

creating names and sizes
And last, creating the file system(s) and mount points:
In my case
Code:
mkdev fs

for each file system you created earlier. My systems had provisions for the formatting and mounting conditions as part of this. Since you are doing this for a removable unit you wouldn't want to automatically mount it unless you are planning to reboot each time you make a change.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing directories of an external hard drive

How do I do it? I have a mac and a pc and am having a time cd-ing to the external drive. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theGooch
2 Replies

2. Solaris

FAT32 usb external hard drive - how to mount??

Hello ! What is the comand to mount and usb hard disk ? I have Solaris 10 installed! 10nx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniel.balasa
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External SCSI hard drive

Someone gave me a small external SCSI hard drive for my SunOS 5.8 test system. How do I make Unix see the hard drive? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

External Hard drive won't mount

i have a Simple Tech hard drive that i use between two computers. it is formatted to ntfs. i have a dell desktop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP Home. and i have a laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04. the laptop recognizes the hard drive on both 8.04 and 7.10 but my desktop... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
9 Replies

5. HP-UX

Mounting an external parallel hard drive

Can anyone please walk me through how to mount an external parallel (or scsi) hard drive in visualize C3000 machine? I also would like to mount "/var/sallie" directory in that external drive. My "/var/sallie" directory is running out of space so I would like to mount an external hard drive so that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallysallie
0 Replies

6. Solaris

USB External Hard Drive for Solaris 10 Sparc

Hi- I would like to know if anyone has used any USB External Hard Drive, about 500/750GB or 1TB, with any of the Solaris 10 "SPARC" systems. Not on intel nor amd platform. I'm looking for the compatible drive and found a few listed on Sun solaris ready page, but I'd like to have inputs from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agfa_109
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Connect an External SCSI Hard Drive to Ultra 80

Guys, I have googled and checked this forum in detail and couldn't find any satisfactory answers for my problem. I am trying to connect a external SCSI hard Drive(Sea Gate) to a Ultra 80. I connected it powered it up and at OK prompt did : boot -r system comes up and complains about not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot Solaris off of an old external hard drive

Hi Folks, First a little background, I am working on a ship that operates in the Indian Ocean and Persian/Arabian gulf area. We had a Sunblade 2000 that finally died. The Video board burned up and I guess damaged the mother board. So we ordered 2 rebuilt 2000s one as a spare. Due to mounting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sean.kelly
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing UNIX and booting from External Hard Drive

Hello I have a new project being kicked off next month and i should learn UNIX fast. I have never used UNIX before so i have the following questions: 1) Is any UNIX free to install? 2) Can i install and boot UNIX from an External Hard Drive (The system board on my laptop crashed so i took the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipsonian
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

How to install Ubuntu11 in external Hard drive

Hi Guys.. I want to install Linux on my portable hard drive. I created a 20GB partition in my hard drive for linux, Now I want to make it bootable mean when I connect it to system n start the system it will start the LINUX and when start without usb-hard drive it should start the windows. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
3 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)