Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk/sed/cut to filter out records from a file based on criteria Post 302999710 by vgersh99 on Monday 26th of June 2017 05:18:01 PM
Old 06-26-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA651
Thanks @vgersh99

Tried to do so but got the following error:
Code:
mia.awk: {:  not found
mia.awk[2]: syntax error at line 2 : `(' unexpected

Can you please break down to me what is happening in the script?
make sure you're copy/pasting the entire script without missing anything.
Works here just fine...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting records from file on criteria.

Can I have 2 files as in input to the awk command? Situation is somewhat below, File A contains number & value delimited by a space. File B contains number as a part of a line. I am not supposed to retrieve more than 1 number from a line. If number from file B matches with number from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select records based on search criteria on first column

Hi All, I need to select only those records having a non zero record in the first column of a comma delimited file. Suppose my input file is having data like: "0","01/08/2005 07:11:15",1,1,"Created",,"01/08/2005" "0","01/08/2005 07:12:40",1,1,"Created",,"01/08/2005"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter records in a file using AWK

I want to filter records in one of my file using AWK command (or anyother command). I am using the below code awk -F@ '$1=="0003"&&"$2==20100402" print {$0}' $INPUT > $OUTPUT I want to pass the 0003 and 20100402 values through a variable. How can I do this? Any help is much... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - splitting 1 large file into multiple based on same key records

Hello gurus, I am new to "awk" and trying to break a large file having 4 million records into several output files each having half million but at the same time I want to keep the similar key records in the same output file, not to exist accross the files. e.g. my data is like: Row_Num,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam66
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter/remove duplicate .dat file with certain criteria

I am a beginner in Unix. Though have been asked to write a script to filter(remove duplicates) data from a .dat file. File is very huge containig billions of records. contents of file looks like 30002157,40342424,OTC,mart_rec,100, ,0 30002157,40343369,OTC,mart_rec,95, ,0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract error records based on specific criteria from Unix file

Hi, I look for a awk one liner for below issue. input file ABC 1234 abc 12345 ABC 4567 678 XYZ xyz ght 678 ABC 787 yyuu ABC 789 7890 777 zxr hyip hyu mno uii 678 776 ABC ty7 888 All lines should be started with ABC as first field. If a record has another value for 1st... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheesh2011
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter records based on 2nd file

Hello, I want to filter records of a file if they fall in range associated with a second file. First the chr number (2nd col of 1st file and 1st col of 2nd file) needs to be matched. Then if the 3rd col of the first file falls within any of the ranges specified by the 2nd and 3rd cols , then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print specific line in file based on criteria

In the file below I am trying to extract a specific instance of path, if the adjacent plugin": "/rundb/api/v1/plugin/49/. Thank you :). file "path": "/results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-4-Medexome_65_028/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.52", "plugin": "/rundb/api/v1/plugin/49/",... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to filter file based on seperate conditions

The below awk will filter a list of 30,000 lines in the tab-delimited file. What I am having trouble with is adding a condition to SVTYPE=CNV that will only print that line if CI= must be >.05 . The other condition to add is if SVTYPE=Fusion, then in order to print that line READ_COUNT must... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filter records from a log file based on timestamp

Dear Experts, I have a log file that contains a timestamp, I would like to filter record from that file based on timestamp. For example refer below file - cat sample.txt Jan 19 20:51:48 mukul-Vostro-14-3468 systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
6 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)