Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Delete files older than 1week(dates need to be calculate based on file name) Post 302999618 by rbatte1 on Friday 23rd of June 2017 11:00:38 AM
Old 06-23-2017
Would it be a problem to extract the file creation time from the file name and use touch to set the time correctly? You can then use find far easier.

Is the date format year, month, day, hour, minute, second, millisecond? You can grab that bit and make a decision on that if you calculate the date before you want to erase the files, something like this:-
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Calculate the cut-off value
earliest_date_allowed=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S -d"1 week ago")
echo "\$earliest_date_allowed=\"$earliest_date_allowed\" or $(date -d"1 week ago")"
while read file
do
   # Extract the date part
   filedate="${file#*-}"            # removes up to first hyphen of filename
   filedate="${filedate%???-*}"     # Removes milliseconds to the end
   if [ $filedate -lt $earliest_date_allowed ]
   then
      echo "I would purge $file"
   fi
done < <(ls -1)                     # Run ls as input for the loop

It doesn't work with milliseconds though and relies on GNU-date. Are these a problem?

Does this get you close?
Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 06-23-2017 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Added a code comment

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete files older than 7 days

can anyone tell me how I would write a script in ksh on AIX that will delete files in a directory older than 7 days? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I delete files older than 7 days?

I will like to write a script that delete all files that are older than 7 days in a directory and it's subdirectories. Can any one help me out witht the magic command or script? Thanks in advance, Odogboly98:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the files which are the 30 min older...?

Hi all, i have a simple question that i want to find out the 30 minutes older files and delete those files from the particular location(Folder) Generally for this purpose used to retreive the files with "atime" command For example: find and delete the 2 days older log files use this below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 3 months.(read date from the name of the file)

Guys, My log files stored in the date format format below(log_20080714072942): TIMESTAMP=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` LOG=/log/log_${TIMESTAMP}.log I'm looking for a shell script which deletes all files which is older than 3 months from today. Regards, Bhagat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files older than 30 days

This is driving me crazy. How can I delete files in a specifc directory that are over 30 days old? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlphillips
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than today

is it -mtime +1 as i need all files older than today to be deleted (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To delete files older than 24 hrs

I have to retain only 1 day files in my system an I have to delete all the other files which are older than 24 hrs. Please let me know the option I have to give in the find -mtime command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh8s
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete all the files older than a date?

Hi, I need a command for deleting all the compress files *.Z that are older than the current date - 5 days. Basically I have a directory where daily I meet some back up files and I want to remove automatically the ones 5 days (or more) older than the current date. How can I write a 'rm' command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Francy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List and Delete Files which are older than 7 days, but have white spaces in file name

I need to list and delete all files in current older which are olderthan 7 days. But my file names have white spaces. Before deleting I want to list all the files, so that I can verify.find . -type f -mtime +7 | xargs ls -l {} But the ls command is the working on the files which have white... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
16 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)