Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy to Windows hidden share
Operating Systems AIX Copy to Windows hidden share Post 302999555 by hicksd8 on Thursday 22nd of June 2017 12:25:15 PM
Old 06-22-2017
I realize that I'm coming to this thread very late. I'm not an AIX man either but I've had a few confrontations with accessing MS-shares from Unix/Linux/whatever boxes. Before I post anymore, I must state that everything I write is purely generic Unix speak and NOT AIX specific.

1. Usually, the MS admin creates a share (hidden or visible) with the Unix users username and password. Then the Unix/Linux user simply logs in and his password is transmitted to the MSbox to access the share.
2. The Unix admin installs an SMB client and declares (adds) the specific Unix user as an SMB user.
3. At this point you would expect a connection to the MS share to work BUT IT Doesn't. The reason is that the SMB password to be transmitted to the MSbox has to be hashed in (typically) '/var/smb/smbpasswd' but when you look in there, that users hashed record is not there. However, now the Unix box is aware that the user is an SMB client user, if the sysadmin (or the user themselves) resets that user's password with the 'passwd' command (even if it's set to what is was already), the hash will be put in '/var/smb/smbpasswd' file. It miraculously appears. Until that hash is in the smbpasswd file there isn't a hope in hell of it working.

As I said, this may or may not be relevant. Others subscribed to this thread may know better but I just thought I'd chip in with that.

Best of luck.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive copy of hidden files

I need to know how to copy hidden files recursively? cp -r sourceDir/* targetDir/. ignores the hidden files. Thank you!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usfrog
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy hidden files from one folder to another

dear all, i want to copy all files in my home dir to another. from my home dir i have given ls -la then some hidden files are there with dot . .. and i also want to copy all dirs in my home as it is . because iam upgrading the system how to copy all files and dirs in my home dir... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

how to share with windows

i m using Linux Mint on my computer and i m the server of shared Internet connection with windows machines. Internet sharing is working well with all the machines but file sharing is not working well. I can access the shared folders of other system with windows machine the windows machines cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giri.nitp
1 Replies

4. AIX

Need help with Windows Share please

I have a windows 2003 server with services for unix installed I have create a folder c:\nfsshare and set it as an nfs share named nfsshare. now I am trying to mount it from my aix system using mount <server ip>:/nfsshare /mnt the filesystem mounts , but I cannot change into /mnt, I get a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

windows printers share

Hello, My network environment is: The server is Linux, all the clients are win2000 professional, the PC names are(ws00201, ws00202,ws00203,ws00204,ws00205,ws00206,ws00207,ws00208,ws00209), I have 3 printers connected through USB to ws00201, ws00204,ws00207, I want ws00201,ws00202,ws00203... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: truelyli
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy User home folders to mounted windows share

First of all, let me state that I am a windows admin. I have a windows share mounted to /mnt/server I need a script that will either login as sudo or perform commands with sudo rights. I need the script to copy all of the users /home folders to the mounted windows share. Now If I can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EricM
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows Share

Hi guys I have some Windows Shares and I need to mount those shares on my Suse 10 SP3 I would like to know how to mount those? do I need to enable Samba? or is it just a simple mount command? thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copy files to samba share Ubuntu 14.04

I am trying to use mv or cp rsync to copy folders to a samba share. I can manually copy the folders to the share, but can not seem to access it using command line. Thank you :). smbclient //path/to/cifs/share <password> -W <domain> -u <user> WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
ACPIWMI(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						ACPIWMI(4)

NAME
acpiwmi -- Windows Management Instrumentation support for ACPI SYNOPSIS
acpiwmi* at acpi? acpiwmibus* at acpiwmi? wmidell* at acpiwmibus? wmieeepc* at acpiwmibus? wmihp* at acpiwmibus? wmimsi* at acpiwmibus? DESCRIPTION
The acpiwmi device driver provides an ACPI interface for Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). The ACPI WMI interface is typically used to support vendor specific features found in various laptops. The following WMI mappings are supported: wmidell Dell laptops wmieeepc Some models of Asus Eee PC wmihp Hewlett-Packard laptops wmimsi MSI laptops The functionality varies from vendor to vendor. Typically the interface is used for function and hotkey handling, but additional features may be present. SEE ALSO
acpi(4), acpidalb(4) Microsoft Corporation, Windows Instrumentation: WMI and ACPI, http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/wmi/wmi-acpi.mspx, December 4, 2001. HISTORY
The acpiwmi device driver appeared in NetBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
Jukka Ruohonen <jruohonen@iki.fi> wrote acpiwmi and most of the mappings. CAVEATS
While WMI should provide a certain degree of portability across laptop models from a particular vendor, there is no guarantee that the map- pings are functional in all models. The wmihp driver may conflict with hpqlb(4). BSD
February 16, 2011 BSD