Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Character screening and paste into new file in columns instead of rows Post 302999080 by RudiC on Tuesday 13th of June 2017 04:18:45 AM
Old 06-13-2017
Like so?
Code:
awk '{printf "%s%s", /^%/?"\t":TRS, $0; TRS = ORS}   END {printf ORS}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to changes rows to columns in a file

Hi, I have a small requirement in chainging the rows to columns. The below example.txt contains info as shown Name:Person1 Age:30 Name:Person2 Age:40 Name:Person3 Age:50 I want to make it displayed as hown below Name:Person1 Age:30 Name:person2 Age:40 Name:Person3 Age:50 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Columns to Rows in a File

Hi I have a input file in the format ABC,111,2008Q2, 49K ABC,111,2008Q3, 0K ABC,111,2008Q4, 0K ABC,222,2008Q2, 49K ABC,222,2008Q3, 0K ABC,222,2008Q4, 0K XYZ,111,2008Q2, 49K XYZ,111,2008Q3, 0K XYZ,111,2008Q4, 0K XYZ,222,2008Q2, 49K XYZ,222,2008Q3, 0K XYZ,222,2008Q4, 0K The output file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrismt
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows to Columns - File Transpose

Hi I have an input file and I want to transpose it but I need to take care that if any field is missing for a record it should be popoulated with space for that field - using a shell script INFILE ---------- emp=1 sal=2 loc=abc emp=2 sal=21 sal=22 loc=xyz emp=5 loc=abc OUTFILE... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large file - columns into rows etc

I have done a couple of searches on this and have found many threads but I don't think I've found one that is useful to me - probably because I have very basic comprehension of perl and beginners shell so trying to manipulate a script already posted maybe beyond my capabilities.... Anyway - I... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: Myrona
26 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and Paste Columns in a Tab-Limited Text file

I have this text file with a very large number of columns (10,000+) and I want to move the first column to the position of the six column so that the text file looks like this: Before cutting and pasting ID Family Mother Father Trait Phenotype aaa bbb ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste second columns from files to its corresponding file

Hi All, I have two sets of files. One set with extension .txt This set has file names with numbers like these. 1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt until extactly 100.txt. The .txt files look like these: 0.38701788 93750 0.38622013 94456 0.38350296 94440 0.38282126 94057 0.38282126 94439 0.35847232... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert columns to rows in a file

Hello, I have a huge tab delimited file with around 40,000 columns and 900 rows I want to convert columns to a row. INPUT file look like this. the first line is a headed of a file. ID marker1 marker2 marker3 marker4 b1 A G A C ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryan9011
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the fields(columns) from a .csv file if all rows in that columns are blanks

Hi Friends, I have come across some files where some of the columns don not have data. Key, Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 A,5,6,,10,, A,3,4,,3,, B,1,,4,5,, B,2,,3,4,, If we see the above data on Data5 column do not have any row got filled. So remove only that column(Here Data5) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a character of specified column(s) of all rows in a file

Hi - I have a file "file1" of below format. Its a comma seperated file. Note that each string is enclosed in double quotes. "abc","-0.15","10,000.00","IJK" "xyz","1,000.01","1,000,000.50","OPR" I want the result as: "abc","-0.15","10000.00","IJK" "xyz","1,000.01","1000000.50","OPR" I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Character screening and paste into newfile in columns instead of rows

QL10169_SAUJANA%SubNetwork=ONRM_ROOT_MO_R,SubNetwork=ERBS_KCRN11,MeContext=QL10169_SAUJANA_5 %External_Link_Failure %X2_link_problem_to_one_or_several_neighbouring_eNodeBs. QL10187_MATANG_JAYA_2%SubNetwork=ONRM_ROOT_MO_R,SubNetwork=ERBS_KUCHING,MeContext=QL10187_MATANG_JAYA_2_3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankit Vyas
2 Replies
AWK(1)							      General Commands Manual							    AWK(1)

NAME
awk - pattern scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
awk [ -Fc ] [ prog ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
Awk scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified in prog. With each pattern in prog there can be an asso- ciated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. The set of patterns may appear literally as prog, or in a file specified as -f file. Files are read in order; if there are no files, the standard input is read. The file name `-' means the standard input. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. An input line is made up of fields separated by white space. (This default can be changed by using FS, vide infra.) The fields are denoted $1, $2, ... ; $0 refers to the entire line. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if ( conditional ) statement [ else statement ] while ( conditional ) statement for ( expression ; conditional ; expression ) statement break continue { [ statement ] ... } variable = expression print [ expression-list ] [ >expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ >expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line exit # skip the rest of the input Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for the whole line. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators +, -, *, /, %, and concatenation (indicated by a blank). The C operators ++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, and %= are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. String constants are quoted "...". The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. The printf statement formats its expression list according to the format (see printf(3S)). The built-in function length returns the length of its argument taken as a string, or of the whole line if no argument. There are also built-in functions exp, log, sqrt, and int. The last truncates its argument to an integer. substr(s, m, n) returns the n-character sub- string of s that begins at position m. The function sprintf(fmt, expr, expr, ...) formats the expressions according to the printf(3S) format given by fmt and returns the resulting string. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (!, ||, &&, and parentheses) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions must be surrounded by slashes and are as in egrep. Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regu- lar expressions may also occur in relational expressions. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines between an occurrence of the first pattern and the next occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (for contains) or !~ (for does not contain). A condi- tional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN must be the first pattern, END the last. A single character c may be used to separate the fields by starting the program with BEGIN { FS = "c" } or by using the -Fc option. Other variable names with special meanings include NF, the number of fields in the current record; NR, the ordinal number of the current record; FILENAME, the name of the current input file; OFS, the output field separator (default blank); ORS, the output record separator (default newline); and OFMT, the output format for numbers (default "%.6g"). EXAMPLES
Print lines longer than 72 characters: length > 72 Print first two fields in opposite order: { print $2, $1 } Add up first column, print sum and average: { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Print fields in reverse order: { for (i = NF; i > 0; --i) print $i } Print all lines between start/stop pairs: /start/, /stop/ Print all lines whose first field is different from previous one: $1 != prev { print; prev = $1 } SEE ALSO
lex(1), sed(1) A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, Awk - a pattern scanning and processing language BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 AWK(1)