Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each pattern match Post 302998967 by RudiC on Saturday 10th of June 2017 01:20:33 PM
Old 06-10-2017
How about
Code:
awk 'match ($0, PAT) && ++T[substr($0, RSTART, RLENGTH)]<4' PAT="abc|bcd|cde" file2
abc1
bcd1
abc2
abc3
bcd2
bcd3
cde1
cde2
cde3

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to delete exactly match pattern and print them in other file

Hi there, I need help about using sed. Iam using sed to delete and print lines that match the port number as listed in sedfile. I am using -d and -p command for delete match port and print them respectively. However, the output is not synchonize where the total deleted lines is not similar with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_buddy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines which match multiple patterns

Hi, I have a text file as follows: 11:38:11.054 run1_rdseq avg_2-5 999988.0000 1024.0000 11:50:52.053 run3_rdrand 999988.0000 1135.0 128.0417 11:53:18.050 run4_wrrand avg_2-5 999988.0000 8180.5833 11:55:42.051 run4_wrrand avg_2-5 999988.0000 213.8333 11:55:06.053... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annazpereira
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match multiple patterns in a file and then print their respective next line

Dear all, I need to search multiple patterns and then I need to print their respective next lines. For an example, in the below table, I will look for 3 different patterns : 1) # ATC_Codes: 2) # Generic_Name: 3) # Drug_Target_1_Gene_Name: #BEGIN_DRUGCARD DB00001 # AHFS_Codes:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting lates pattern match from multiple matches in log

Hi, I have a large, multiline log file. I have used pcregrep to extract all entries in that log that match a particular pattern - where that pattern spans multiple lines. However, because the log file is large, and these entries occur every few minutes, I still output a very large amount... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrb2
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - match files containing minimum number of pattern matches

I want to search a bunch of files and list only those containing a minimum number of pattern matches. So if I want to identify files containing 3 (or more) instances of the pattern "said:" and I have file1 that contains the lines: He said: She said: and file2 that contains the lines: He... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match 2 different patterns and print the lines

Hi, i have been trying to extract multiple lines based on two different patterns as below:- file1 @jkm|kdo|aas012|192.2.3.1 blablbalablablkabblablabla sjfdsakfjladfjefhaghfagfkafagkjsghfalhfk fhajkhfadjkhfalhflaffajkgfajkghfajkhgfkf jahfjkhflkhalfdhfwearhahfl @jkm|sdf|wud08q|168.2.1.3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match pattern and print the line number of occurence using awk

Hi, I have a simple problem but i guess stupid enough to figure it out. i have thousands rows of data. and i need to find match patterns of two columns and print the number of rows. for example: inputfile abd abp 123 abc abc 325 ndc ndc 451 mjk lkj... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print line if two lines above it matches patterns.?

Hi, I could only find examples to print line before/after a match, but I'd need to print line after two separate lines matching. E.g.: From the below log entry, I would need to print out the 1234. This is from a huge log file, that has a lot of entries with "CLIENT" and "No" entries (+ other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print match or non-match and select fields/patterns for non-matches

In the awk below I am trying to output those lines that Match between file1 and file2, those Missing in file1, and those missing in file2. Using each $1,$2,$4,$5 value as a key to match on, that is if those 4 fields are found in both files the match, but if those 4 fields are not found then missing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSuUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr - Use 4-argument "substr" instead of writing "substr($foo, 2, 6) = $bar". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway discourages the use of "substr()" as an lvalue, instead recommending that the 4-argument version of "substr()" be used instead. substr($something, 1, 2) = $newvalue; # not ok substr($something, 1, 2, $newvalue); # ok The four-argument form of "substr()" was introduced in Perl 5.005. This policy does not report violations on code which explicitly specifies an earlier version of Perl (e.g. "use 5.004;"). CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
"substr" in perlfunc (or "perldoc -f substr"). "4th argument to substr" in perl5005delta AUTHOR
Graham TerMarsch <graham@howlingfrog.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Graham TerMarsch. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)