Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - help in removing some text Post 302998466 by dakelly on Friday 2nd of June 2017 06:25:54 AM
Old 06-02-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by apmcd47
You are doing this on Solaris? Are you using /bin/sh, /bin/ksh or /bin/bash?
I assume $ZONE contains, eg, /newpool/server1 and you want it to appear as server1.
In /bin/sh, as it looks like a filepath, use
Code:
echo `basename $ZONE` >> $MSG

or even
Code:
basename $ZONE >> $MSG

For ksh and bash, try
Code:
echo ${ZONE##*/} >> $MSG

Andrew
Thanks apmcd47 your absolutely correct, it is in Solaris, and i have the script as /bin/sh

I tried your first option of
Code:
echo `basename $ZONE` >> $MSG

which worked

coming from windows support not long started my first unix admin job, so learning lots quickly...

thanks a million..

davy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing commas from text file

Dear all I have a file which looks like this xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,xxx,xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,xxx,xxxxxxxxxx etc basically 14 characters then a comma, three characters, then a comma then 10 characters. We are uploading this file to our mainframe and they want the commas removed, so it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines in a text file.

Here is my problem I'm hoping you guru's can help me figure out. I have a text file that contains comma delimited columns. What I'm looking to do is see if the 24th column on each row in the file contains a value (not null), and then write/append that line to a different file. I've been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WABonnett
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing matching text

Hello Everyone! Of course I am rather new to these forums, but I have been browsing the forums for awhile, always has a lot of useful information :) This time however, I can not find the information I need, well, not completely. So here is the problem, I am a linux admin (dealing mostly with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rhije
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing text between two static strings

Hi everyone, I need to replace the text between two strings (html tags) and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do so. I can display the text with sed but I'm not having any luck deleting the text between the two strings. My file looks like this: <oths>test</oths><div class="text">1928... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cg2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing line from text

Hey everyone, I kinda new to shell programming and learning bits and pieces of stuff from tutorials. I got this problem, where I asked my user to enter a string, which will delete a specific line in the string, which I'm unable to do it. Text file(BookDB.txt) as shown: Three Little... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLHaNz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing zero values from text file

Hi all, I wrote the following code to remove the value which are 0 in the input file (a columns if numbers). awk 'BEGIN { for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i) printf("%13.6e\n",$i) }' $1 >> $2 The script works if the zeros are written as 0.0000 but not as 0.000000e+00 In... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing lines without text

How do I remove line that do not contain text, but that do contain tabs? I have tried the command cat file | awk NF but that doesn't work when the lines contain tabs (and spaces). I have also tried: cat file | sed '/^$/d' (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing " from a text using awk

I was testing some and from this string try to remove all ", but not \" cat file The quick brown fox "jumps", over the 'lazy \"dog\"' result requested: The quick brown fox jumps, over the 'lazy \"dog\"' I have seen a working solution for sed, but I like awk :) This code seem to work,... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
19 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing \n from a text file

Hi All, I have a question regarding text substitution. I have a file that contains a lot of text. Some of the text is separated with a \n like: TEST\nTEST2\nTEST3 BLA\nBLA2\nBLA3 So there are both actual newlines and 'used to be newlines' in the text. using tr tr "\n" "," or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaapSchuurman
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)