Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How can I check actual memory usage each Process? Post 302997546 by tom8254 on Tuesday 16th of May 2017 08:24:24 AM
Old 05-16-2017
How can I check actual memory usage each Process?

I can't check actual memory usage in the Redhat 5.5...

The used memory is 14214 Mb of Total 15919 by Free -m command.

I sum the RSS value on PS aux command result and the value is 5428.66Mb.

Yes It's quite different actual usage memory and RSS value.

So I added Shared memory value (4882.22Mb) by ipcs command but It's still quite different even though I added shared memory value to RSS value

Please help me.... now our one of servers reach the memory over 90%.

I can't check which process is taking many memory now..

Code:
[root@ ~]# ipcs -m | awk 'BEGIN { TOTAL = 0 }{ TOTAL = TOTAL +$5}END{print TOTAL}'

Code:
[root@ ~]# ps aux | awk 'BEGIN { TOTAL = 0 }{ TOTAL = TOTAL +$6}END{print TOTAL}'

Code:
[root@ ~]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:         15919      15669        250          0        629        823
-/+ buffers/cache:      14215       1704
Swap:        10236       1073       9163

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to use ioctl to check out memory usage

Hi all, I tried to output memory usage information while the process is executing at a particular time. I found out some people suggesting calling the ioctl. I followed it and wrote a test example: #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <iostream.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanchen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to restrict memory usage by a process

we are running red hat ES4 and i would like to know if there is anyway of restrcting the maximum amount of memory that a process can get? I have a single preocess that is taking >13GB. Thanks, Frank (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory usage of a process

hi all, i want to write a script that checks the memory usage of processes and send a mail with the name of the process witch is using more then 300mb RAM. dose anybody have a sample script or an idea how i can make it ? PROCCESSES="snmpd sendmail" for myVar in $PROCCESSES do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

how could I get a process Memory Usage

I use pstat API to get Process Infomation I would like to get a process 1.process owner 2.how many physical memory and virtual memory and total memory used(KB) and usage(%) 3.a process excution file create time 4.a process excution file access time I do't know which attribute it i need ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

collecting memory usage by a process

Hi Guys, I work on a AIX environment and I'm trying to write a script where I can collect all the memory used by a process. Basically I'm executing the command 'ps -fu userid' to get all the process ids and then executing the 'ps v PID' to get all the memory allocated by PPID. My question is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

6. Linux

how to check memory usage ?

hello, I have purchased VPS from one webhosting company. VPS comes with Virtuozzo power panel. It has 512MB gurranted RAM and dynamic RAM 2048 MB. I have hosted single domain with 50MB database and wordpress installation. But I am getting resource alerts. It goes sometime in yellow... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrugesh78
8 Replies

7. AIX

Problem with nmon, actual CPU usage per process

Hi all, I am currently having trouble to get nmon to print me the actual CPU usage for an interval for a process. According to the manual, something like # time nmon -t -C cron -s 5 -c 2 -F outfile real 0m0.98s user 0m0.03s sys 0m0.04s should print out at least the process... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
15 Replies

8. Solaris

Memory Usage check

Hello Friends, I need to check memory usage & availability before I could run a program if there is enough memory is left or not, so how could i achieve this? Which command output i should rely on? I have diplayed outputs of SAR, VMstat and PRstat commands below, But how could i check memory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Process memory usage

hi all gurus: I want to find out Solaris process memory usage, but got a bit confused, see if any one can provide me some guidance. i tend to use prstat -a to get total memory consumption by user (I know prstat likely have a bug that simply sum up the memory, regardless if the memory being... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakville
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Find memory usage for a process

I have multiple oracle databases on one server. All the database are running from the same user i.e. oraent. The process for each database can be distinguished by the ps -ef command Eg : ps -ef | grep oraentThe Output : oraent 5361 1 0 20:58:05 ? 0:00 oracledb1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashreads
11 Replies
acctcms(8)						      System Manager's Manual							acctcms(8)

NAME
acctcms - Produces command usage summaries from accounting records SYNOPSIS
acctcms [-acjnspot] file ... FLAGS
Displays output in ASCII summary format rather than the default binary format. The acctcms command sorts its output in descending order according to total K-core minutes. The unit K-core minutes is the amount of storage used (in kilobytes) multiplied by the amount of time the buffer was in use. The hog factor is the total CPU time divided by the total real time. The ASCII summary output format has the fol- lowing headings: The COMMAND NAME column specifies the name of the command. Because only object modules are reported by the accounting system, the sh command entry specifies the entry for all shell processes, regardless of their actual names. The NUMBER CMDS column speci- fies the total number of command invocations during the accounting period. The TOTAL KCOREMIN column combines the amount of memory used and the length of time used. Memory is specified in kilobyte blocks, and time is specified in minutes. The TOTAL CPU-MIN column specifies the total CPU time needed to process the command the number of times specified in the NUMBER CMDS column. The TOTAL REAL-MIN column speci- fies the total number of real-time minutes needed to process the command the number of times specified in the NUMBER CMDS column. The MEAN SIZE-K column specifies the average amount of memory in kilobytes used to process the command the number of times specified in the NUMBER CMDS column. The MEAN CPU-MIN column specifies the average amount of CPU time that the command used each time it was processed. The mean CPU minutes are obtained by dividing the total CPU minutes by the total number of commands. The HOG FACTOR column specifies the CPU time needed to process the command the number of times specified in the NUMBER CMDS column with respect to the time required to process all com- mands. This value shows the ratio of system availability to system utilization. The CHARS TRANSFD column specifies the total number of characters that were read or written when the command was processed the number of times specified in the NUMBER CMDS column. The BLOCKS READ column specifies the number of file system blocks (1 block is equivalent to 1 kilobyte) that were read when the command was processed the number of times specified in the NUMBER CMDS column. The number of blocks read may not correspond with the number of characters trans- ferred. Sorts in descending order according to total CPU time rather than total K-core minutes. Combines all commands called only once in the column specified by "***other" in the COMMAND NAME column. Sorts in descending order according to the number of times each command was called. Displays a command summary of nonprime-time commands. Displays a command summary of prime-time commands. Assumes that any file specified after this flag is in binary format. Processes all records as total accounting records. The default binary format splits each heading into prime-time and nonprime-time parts. DESCRIPTION
The acctcms command outputs data in a format called TOTAL COMMAND SUMMARY. This command reads each file specified, combines and sorts all records for identically named processes, and writes them in a binary format to the output device. Files are usually organized in the acct file format. When you specify the -o and -p flags together, the acctcms command produces a summary report that combines commands processed during both prime and nonprime time. All the output summaries specify total usage, except for the number of times run, CPU minutes, and real minutes, which are split into prime-time and nonprime-time minutes. EXAMPLES
To collect command accounting records from one or more source files into a command summary file called today and to maintain a running total summary of commands in a file called cmtotal, add the following lines to an accounting shell script: acctcms [source File(s) ....] > today cp total prev_tot acctcms -s today prev_tot > cmtotal acctcms -a -s cmtotal First, the acctcms command is used to redirect command records in File(s) that you specify to a file called today. Next, the old total com- mand summary file is renamed prev_tot. Then, the command summary records that are collected in the today and the prev_tot files are redi- rected to a new command summary file called cmtotal. These are all binary files. The last acctcms command outputs to the default output device the contents of the cmtotal file in the ASCII default command summary format previously described, so that the report may be dis- played. FILES
Specifies the command path. This is where prime time is set. Accounting header files that define formats for writing accounting files. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: acct(8), runacct(8) Functions: acct(2) delim off acctcms(8)