Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Slight error with my perl script that I could use some help on Post 302997211 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 9th of May 2017 08:06:12 PM
Old 05-09-2017
Well something has to loop back to the prompt - you did not show that part. I can't offer help for something I cannot see.

Please post the whole script.

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a slight problem!?

having a slight problem. any clues would help. Can't seem to get any output when I run a simple echo script. grex.cyberspace.org% chmod a+x test grex.cyberspace.org% ls -l test -rwxrwx--x 1 gordybh cohorts 20 Dec 13 20:22 test grex.cyberspace.org% cat test #!/bin/sh echo test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCCS - A slight scripting issue

I used %H%M for hours and minutes within a date variable, to latch the date/time onto the end of a file, the script it was in is now under SCCS control and the %H% is a predefined parameter for SCCS, so it tags a date with a "/" character in it. Is there a way to tell SCCS to ignore anything... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tangent
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

CMP two files with slight difference and return code

I am comparing two files which are identical except for the timestamp which is incorporated within the otherwise same 372 bytes. I am using the command: cmp -s $Todays_file $Yesterdays_file -i 372 When I run the command without the -i 372 it shows the difference i.e. the timestamp.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script error

Hi all I keep getting a segmentation fault error while running the script below. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use CGI ':standard'; use GD::Graph::pie; use strict; use warnings; sub trim($) { my $string = shift; $string =~ s/^\s+//; $string =~ s/\s+$//; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pietie
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a slight modification to my PERL script

Hi all, So I have a script that reads a file called FILEA.txt and in that file there are several columns. The ones that are most important are the $name $start and $stop. So currently the script takes values between the start and stop (inside) by using a program called fastamd. But what I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge two files with a slight twist

Hi, a brief introduction on the soundex python module(english sound comparison): import soundex.py a = "neu yorkk" b = "new york city" print soundex.sound_similar(a, b) output: 1 Suppose I want to merge two files, called mergeleft.csv and mergeright.csv Mergeleft.csv: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
0 Replies

7. Linux

Slight Linux Upgrade

Hello Ya'all: I hope Zaxxon is still around. I read a posting about compiling/updating the kernel from source. I'm doing a very specific upgrade, and am wondering if there is anything different or if there's an easy way to do this: I am using kernel version 2.6.18-92, and have done some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Statue
1 Replies

8. Programming

getting error in my perl script

hi Here is my code written to identify the particular position which is after a string (chr*). my input file looks some thing like this aaanbb:anhn:iuopl:12345 chr1 12345 asnmkol * # kjiiii.....anmkij:lpolk:lopll:abnnj chr5 123222 polko * dddfgg .... aaanbb:anhn:iuopl:aanjuj chr2 44345 asnmkol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Slight variation from the desired results

Hello, I am writing a small one liner script to display the tables in my database. I am working with Centos 5.5 and postgresql the command is "psql -c "\dt" | awk '{print$3}'" I just want the 3rd column from the result set, but now the problem is I am getting the third column but with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD