Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Find files in specific folders Post 302996888 by JackJinu on Thursday 4th of May 2017 01:10:44 AM
Old 05-04-2017
find "/home/temp/2*" doesnt work

find "/home/temp/2*" is not working.. I get the error as No such file or directory . btw the path is available.

Last edited by JackJinu; 05-04-2017 at 02:17 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace files in multiple folders

Hi there, I would like to write a script to automate the copy and renaming of files in multiple dir. I have a generic file named s253e.prb and would like to copy this to multiple dir and rename it. Example: Dir is AL-M1 and the prb file name is AL-M1.prb. I would like to be able to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodey
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

decompressed files to specific folders

Hi all, I have a script below which meant to decompress *.tr.gz to allocated folder. e.g. hello.tar.gz should be decompress to a subdirectory called hello and all the files should be in hello subdirectory. How do i do it? Am i missing anything? Condition: there are existing tar.gz in teh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying specific files from remote m/c to specific folders

Hi All, I am trying to rsync some of the latest files from remote m/c to my local linux box. Folder structure in my remote m/c looks like this /pub/Nightly/Package/ROLL/WIN /pub/Nightly/Package/SOLL/sol /pub/Nightly/Package/SOLL/linux Each of the folder contains gzip files which on daily... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhoomsharabi
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitoring specific files and folders

I want a mechanism to monitor a folder full of files that are sensitive. I want to log all accesses,modifications and changes to any file within the folder in a log file which should give me access/modify/change times,the user id of the process which tried and the pid. Even some idea of what to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivek788
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get a list of folders and find files older than...

I am trying to get a list of folders contained in a given directory and would then like to delete any folders/files older than 60mins. So far I am able to get the list of folders using: ls -l /home/uploads | grep '^d.*' the output: drwxr-xr-x 6 flk flk 4096 2010-02-11 13:30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to download specific files and save in two folders

I am trying to download all files from a user authentication, password protected https site, with a particular extension (.bam). The files are ~20GB each and I am not sure if the below is the best way to do it. I am also not sure how to direct the downloaded files to a folder as well as external... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all the files and folders inside all the directories except some specific directory?

hi, i have a requirement to delete all the files from all the directories except some specific directories like archive and log. for example: there are following directories such as A B C D Archive E Log F which contains some sub directories and files. The requirement is to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to move specific files from folders in find file

I have a directory /home/cmccabe/nfs/exportedReports that contains multiple folders in it. The find writes the name of each folder to out.txt. A new directory is then created in a new location /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API, named with the date. What I am trying to do, unsuccessfully at the moment,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace from specific folders

Hello Experts, Any help is appreciated. I would like to find and replace a string in a specific file ( e.g abc.xml) only for the directories starting with "AB 1.0 DIR". I've 50 sub directories starting with "AB 1.0 DIR". And I would like find the file abc.xml in those sub-directories and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: builderj
4 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - change working directory SYNOPSIS
[directory] DESCRIPTION
If directory is not specified, the value of shell parameter is used as the new working directory. If directory specifies a complete path starting with or directory becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the shell variable. has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the shell variable. must have execute (search) permission in directory. exists only as a shell built-in command because a new process is created whenever a command is executed, making useless if written and pro- cessed as a normal system command. Moreover, different shells provide different implementations of as a built-in utility. Features of as described here may not be supported by all the shells. Refer to individual shell manual entries for differences. If is called in a subshell or a separate utility execution environment such as: (which invokes on accessible directories) does not affect the current directory of the caller's environment. Another usage of as a stand- alone command is to obtain the exit status of the command. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, searches for directory relative to each directory named in the variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current direc- tory. If is not set, it is treated as if it was an empty string. EXAMPLES
Change the current working directory to the directory from any location in the file system: Change to new current working directory residing in the current directory: or Change to directory residing in the current directory's parent directory: Change to the directory whose absolute pathname is Change to the directory relative to home directory: RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. The working directory remains unchanged. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chdir(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cd(1)