Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backward compatibility issue with GNU bash, version 4.3.42(5) Post 302996667 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 29th of April 2017 09:52:36 PM
Old 04-29-2017
There are lots of systems like Solaris 10 that are going to be way back - at 3.3 bash, for example.

So, what do you want to do? I would try ksh88 which is close to Linux pdksh. Most systems have that as a fall back. You can also download older versions of bash if you want.

KornShell -> to download ksh 88.

Earlier bash: Index of /gnu/bash
I do not know how well early bash versions like 1.14 behave in new environments.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash version or string issue

Hi all, I'm not sure but I guess, that is a bash version issue. The script working fine on "GNU bash, version 3.2.25(1)-release Ubuntu". #!/bin/bash while IFS=">" read a id val do if ] then VAL=${id%<*}; ID=${id#*</} echo $VAL echo $ID sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: research3
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Substitute single backward-slash with the double backward-slash

Hi, I have a path like this c:\test\sample\programs, i need to change thiis to c:\\test\\sample\\programs. How to perform this? I tried tr command but it didn't help me. Thanks Vijayan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HP UX and AIX compatibility issue

Hi All, The below code works perfectly on AIX machine but doesnt give the desired o/p on HP UX. Can someone please generalise the code so that it becomes platform independent. awk 'NR == FNR { /^*\47name/ && c++ # get the field number if (/^*\47size/) { split($0, t, ":") ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhrap.das
2 Replies

4. Linux

version compatibility of montavista CGE-5.1 with JRE-1.4.2

Dear All, Currently I am using montavista CGE-3.1 and JRE-1.4.2, now I like to upgrade CGE version-3.1 to CGE version-5.1. I like to know whether CGE-5.1 will support JRE-1.4.2 ?. Kindly help in this regards. Raj. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
1 Replies

5. SCO

sco unix backward compatibility on "max open file per process"

Hi How to increase maximum number of open file in "sco xenix binary" running in "sco unix openserver 5.0.7" ? I have changed "NOFILES" kernel parameter to 512, but xenix binray can't open more than 60. tnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javad1_maroofi
4 Replies

6. Solaris

IPv6 compatibility issue .

Dear All, Need your advise. Can the Sun Fire V240 or Sun Fire V440 support with IPv6? Or it was depend to the OS? Any supporting document i can refer? Thank for help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcw
0 Replies

7. Programming

Backward compatibility in python

Actually I have installed python 3.2. It seems there are a lot of synta variance between 2.2 and 3.2. Is it possible to run a script in 2.2 without actually installing 2.2. But I have installed 3.2. and also is it possible to access the 2.2 shell in 3.2 version. I am naive in python . Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and sed compatibility

Hi i am having a stange problem. Basically for my sed script used within bash i can unly use a single Quote with sed '. (if i use " then i get command garbled error with sed ) The problem with this is BASH does not interprit variables within single quote ' so we cannot use any of the BASH... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vash
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

GNU & BSD Makefile Directives & Conditions Compatibility

Firstly, I would like to apologize if this is not the appropriate sub-forum to post about GNU/BSD makefile scripting. Though my code is in C++, because I am focusing on the makefile I thought it would go better in shell scripting. Please correct me if I am wrong. Secondly, I am not interested in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
0 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)