Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File formatting with newlines Post 302996246 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 22nd of April 2017 01:47:17 AM
Old 04-22-2017
Try:
Code:
awk '{while (!/#~#/ && getline n>0) if(n!="")$0=$0 FS n; sub(/#~#/,x)}1'file

With GNU awk or mawk, if you do not mind an extra trailing newline at the end of the file, you can try this:
Code:
gawk '{$1=$1}1' RS='#~#' file

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with formatting of file.

I have a file with following file format - DMCRH|||83000171|||14022008||0430|||8956612.23|J|||3571235|1378452|23468|6894|9234| DMCRH|||83000215|||15092007||0480|||121.33|J|||LineID003|RefNumSP003|RefNumMem003|0004|0003| What i need done is - 1. Cut the firt four digits of the date (eg 1402... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: divz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing inserted newlines from a fileld of fixed width file.

Hi champs! I have a fixed width file in which the records appear like this 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the record of 11111 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_1
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding lines in a file with newlines

Hi Guys, I have a file as shown below: 55 6 77 8 88 98 7 85 45 544 1 33 32 13 13 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the file

############################################################################################################# 19/Apr/2010:07:06:19 "Changed directory to dms-imrm/Fort_Wayne/Parkview" - SUCCESSFUL 19/Apr/2010:07:06:19 "Changed directory to Requisitions" - SUCCESSFUL ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding string in very long file without newlines

What's the best way to find a string in a very long file without newlines in Unix? The standard utility I'm aware of for finding a string in a single file is grep, but for a long file without newlines, I think the output is just going to be the input. I suppose I could use sed to replace the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronpoley
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

'for LINE in $(cat file)' breaking at spaces, not just newlines

Hello. I'm making a (hopefully) simple shell script xml parser that outputs a file I can grep for information. I am writing it because I have yet to find a command line utility that can do this. If you know of one, please just stop now and tell me about it. Even better would be one I can input... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: natedawg1013
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting file data to another file (control character related)

I have to write a program to read data from files and then format into another file. However, I face a strange problem related to control character that I can't understand and solve. The source file is compose of many lines with such format: T_NAME|P_NAME|P_CODE|DOCUMENT_PATH|REG_DATE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk6279
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting data in a raw file by using another mapping file

Hi All, i have a requirement where i need to format the input RAW file ( which is CSV) by using another mapping file(also CSV file). basically i am getting feed file with dynamic headers by using mapping file (in that target field is mapped with source filed) i have to convert the raw file into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi4informatic
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newlines and carriage return from a csv file using UNIX

I need to remove new lines and carriage returns from csv file. Is there anything other than sed and gwak by which we could achieve this ? Any suggestions ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_Gaddale
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file with Newlines

Hi Friends, I have a data file with new lines. How to remove the newlines and should be showed in one line. I tried using the command tr -d '\n' filename sed 's/\n//g' file name Ex: 1 abc hyd is actual record but in our scenario showing it as 1 abc hydthis record should be like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies
REPLACE(1)						      General Commands Manual							REPLACE(1)

NAME
replace - A utility program that is used by msql2mysql, but that has more general applicability as well. replace changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. Can be used to swap strings. USAGE
replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... -- [files] or replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... < fromfile > tofile SYNOPSIS
replace [-?|-I] [-s] [-v] DESCRIPTION
replace -?|-I info -s silent -v verbose EXTRA INFO
Special characters in from string: ^ Match start of line. $ Match end of line.  Match space-character, start of line or end of line. For a end  the next replace starts locking at the end space-character. A  alone in a string matches only a space-character. EXAMPLE
this command swaps a and b in the given files: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... SEE ALSO
isamchk (1), isamlog (1), mysqlaccess (1), mysqladmin (1), mysqlbug (1), mysqld (1), mysqldump (1), mysqlshow (1), msql2mysql (1), perror (1), replace (1), safe_mysqld (1), which1 (1), zap (1), AUTHOR
Ver 1.0, distribution 3.23.29a Michael (Monty) Widenius (monty@tcx.se), TCX Datakonsult AB (http://www.tcx.se). This software comes with no warranty. Manual page by L. (Kill-9) Pedersen (kill-9@kill-9.dk), Mercurmedia Data Model Architect / system developer (http://www.mer- curmedia.com) 20 December 2000 REPLACE(1)