Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Grep file starting from pattern matching line Post 302996182 by kristinu on Friday 21st of April 2017 05:28:56 AM
Old 04-21-2017
Grep file starting from pattern matching line

I have a file with a list of references towards the end and want to apply a grep for some string.

Code:
text ....

@unnumbered References

@sp 1
@paragraphindent 0
2017. @strong{Chalenski, D.A.}; Wang, K.; Tatanova, Maria; Lopez,
Jorge L.; Hatchell, P.; Dutta, P.; @strong{Small airgun sources for
frequent lo

etc ...

So I want to start grep from the line containing
Code:
@unnumbered References

to the end of the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modify a particular pattern starting from second line of the search pattern

Hi, I am new to this forum and i would like to get help in this issue. I have a file 1.txt as shown: apple banana orange apple grapes banana orange grapes orange .... Now i would like to search for pattern say apple or orange and then put a # at the beginning of the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modify a particular pattern starting from second line of the search pattern

Hi, I think you ppl did not get my question correctly, let me explain I have 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove all lines from a file before a line starting with pattern

hi,, i hav a file with many lines.i need to remove all lines before a line begginning with a specific pattern from the file because these lines are not required. Can u help me out with either a perl script or shell script example:- if file initially contains lines: a b c d .1.2 d e f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words starting from a matching word in a line

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: wwwe 1 ioie ewew yyy uuu 88 erehrlk 4 ihoiwhe lkjhassad lkhsad yyy mmm 45 jhash lhasdhs lkhsdkjsn ouiyrshroi oihoihswodnw oiyhewe yyy ggg 77 I want to remove everything after "yyy" and including "yyy" from each line in the file. So I want:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from a starting line till the end of the file

Hi Folks, I got to know from this forums on how to grep from a particular line say line 6 awk 'NR==6 {print;exit}' But how do i grep from line 6 till the end of the file or command output. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep log file to get line above matching pattern

Hi, I have a log file that looks like this "delete" : { "_type" : "cl", "_id" : "1000600000000562636", "_version" : 1, "status" : 200, "found" : false } }, { "delete" : { "_type" : "cl", "_id" : "1000600000000562643", ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)