Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Wget, grep, sort, sed in 1 command/script Post 302996165 by Corona688 on Thursday 20th of April 2017 02:57:13 PM
Old 04-20-2017
That's the clue we needed - the reason it doesn't work when you put the same command in a pipe chain.

It doesn't work simply because wget refuses to output to anything but a regular file. Pipes, named or otherwise, are no good. For -k, this is because it has to edit the file after it downloads it. For -p, this is because it opens the output file more than once. Both of which would indeed do awful things to a pipe.

So, not a lot you can do. Sorry.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort script/command

ok. i am doing a project where i have hand typed in the titles of nearly 500 DVD titles, each one is on a seperate line. but they arent in any type of alphebetical order, and i need them sorted in that format (A-Z or a-z) ..... i know that the 'sort' command can be used but also know the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chadbot
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex find grep or sed command

Haven't worked in bash for ages. did a good bit of shell scripting in regular sh, but have forgotten most of it. I have several thousand php files that now include the following line at the end of the file. There is no LF or CR/LF before it begins, it is just concatenated to the final line of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjburden
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep output as input for sed command

Hi, I would like to know if this is possible, and if so what can i do to make this work. I would like to grep a line X from fileA and then use the output to replace a word Y in fileB. grep "line X" fileA | sed -e 's/Y/X/g' > outfile this statement does not work, as i do not know how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep awk sed command

I have a txt file with data abc:def:ghi:jkl:mno pq stu vwx I want to take out abc what should i do? I try awk awk '/abc/ {print $1}' listfile.txt> extendedfile.txt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script with wget in ssh command

Hi, I am using a linux with bash. I have a script written which will login to a remote server and from there it runs a "wget" to downlaod a build file from a webserver. Here is the line inside the script: ssh -t -q -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o ConnectTimeout=5 root@${a}'wget... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines from wget script using find/sed

I am downloading numerous files (600 plus) using a 'wget' script. Some files are not downloading and have zero byte size. I am using the following 'find' command to find the files in my cd which have non-zero byte size after the wget script has been run. find -type f -size +0 -exec basename {}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dl226
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

applescript & grep - sed command

I'm new using Unix commands in applescript. The following script you choose different folders with PDfs, get file count of PDfs on chosen folders, & write the results in text file. set target_folder to choose folder with prompt "Choose target folders containing only PDFs to count files" with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nellbern
0 Replies

9. Programming

[ask]SQL command act like sort and grep

for example, I have a text file in random content inside, maybe something like this. 234234 54654 123134 467456 24234234 7867867 23424 568567if I run this command cat "filename.txt" | sort -n | grep "^467456$" -A 1 -B 1the result is 234234 467456 568567is it possible to do this command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
2 Replies
POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)

NAME
POE::Pipe::OneWay - a portable API for one-way pipes SYNOPSIS
my ($read, $write) = POE::Pipe::OneWay->new(); die "couldn't create a pipe: $!" unless defined $read; DESCRIPTION
The right way to create an anonymous pipe varies from one operating system to the next. Some operating systems support "pipe()". Others require "socketpair()". And a few operating systems support neither, so a plain old socket must be created. POE::Pipe::OneWay will attempt to create a unidirectional pipe using "pipe()", "socketpair()", and IO::Socket::INET, in that order. Exceptions are hardcoded for operating systems with broken or nonstandard behaviors. The upshot of all this is that an application can portably create a one-way pipe by instantiating POE::Pipe::OneWay. The work of deciding how to create the pipe and opening the handles will be taken care of internally. POE::Pipe::OneWay may be used outside of POE, as it doesn't use POE internally. PUBLIC METHODS
new [TYPE] Create a new one-way pipe, optionally constraining it to a particular TYPE of pipe. One-way pipes have two ends: a "read" end and a "write" end. On success, new() returns two handles: one for the "read" end and one for the "write" end. Returns nothing on failure, and sets $! to explain why the constructor failed. my ($read, $write) = POE::Pipe::OneWay->new(); die $! unless defined $read; TYPE may be one of "pipe", "socketpair", or "inet". When set, POE::Pipe::OneWay will constrain its search to either "pipe()", a UNIX- domain "socketpair()", or plain old sockets, respectively. Otherwise new() will try each method in order, or a particular method predetermined to be the best one for the current operating environment. BUGS
POE::Pipe::OneWay may block up to one second on some systems if failure occurs while trying to create "inet" sockets. SEE ALSO
POE::Pipe, POE::Pipe::TwoWay. AUTHOR &; COPYRIGHT POE::Pipe::OneWay is copyright 2000-2008 by Rocco Caputo. All rights reserved. POE::Pipe::OneWay is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-15 POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)