Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Correct use of substr
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Correct use of substr Post 302996127 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 19th of April 2017 10:20:09 AM
Old 04-19-2017
The latter has the print S within the loop, needs to be after the loop
Code:
awk ' NR==FNR { POS[++P]=$1+0; next } /^>/ { print; next } { S=sep=""; for (N=1; N in POS; N++) { S=S sep substr($0, POS[N], 1); sep=" "; } print S; }' positions.txt test.txt

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using substr

What is the more efficient way to do this (awk only and default FS) ? $ echo "jefe@alm"|awk '{pos = index($0, "@");printf ("USER: %s\n",substr ($0,1,pos-1))}' USER: jefe Thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

Hi, My input file is 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. I need to change the second field value from 2 to 1. i.e., 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk or substr

i have a variable 200612 the last two digits of this variable should be between 1 and 12, it should not be greater than 12 or less than 1 (for ex: 00 or 13,14,15 is not accepted) how do i check for this conditions in a unix shell script. thanks Ram (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substr?

Hi, I have a long string like, aabab|bcbcbcbbc|defgh|paswd123 dedededede|efef|ghijklmn|paswd234 ghghghghgh|ijijii|klllkkk|paswd345 lmlmlmmm|nononononn|opopopopp|paswd456 This string is devided into one space between substrings. This substrings are, aabab|bcbcbcbbc|defgh|paswd123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: syamkp
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr of a file

Hi, i'm a newbie and i don't know unix... I'm a dba oracle. I need to cat the content of a file like this: > ps -eaf|grep pmon oracle 221422 1 0 Sep 17 - 7:20 ora_pmon_ORCL oracle 405626 1 0 Sep 17 - 8:39 ora_pmon_ORCL1 oracle 491534 1 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davyp74
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr

can anybody explain this code? thanks in advance..:) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: janani_kalyan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk substr

HI I am using awk and substr function to list out the directory names in the present working directory . I am using below code ls -l | awk '{ if ((substr($1,1,1)) -eq d) {print $9 }}' But the problem is i am getting all the files and directories listed where as the requirement i wrote... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhu_kumar
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use if/else if with substr?

I have a command like this: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES" else if (substr ($0,37,1)==0 && NR == 3) print "NO"}' This syntax doesn't work. But I was able to get this to work: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES"}' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP : awk substr

Hi, - In a file test.wmi Col1 | firstName | lastName 4003 | toto_titi_CT- | otot_itit - I want to have only ( colones $7,$13 and $15) with code 4003 and 4002. for colone $13 I want to have the whole name untill _CT- or _GC- 1- I used the command egrep with awk #egrep -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: georg2014
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

awk '/^>/{id=$0;next}length>=7 { print id, "\n"$0}' Test.txt Can I use substr to achieve the same task? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies
IO::Seekable(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       IO::Seekable(3perl)

NAME
IO::Seekable - supply seek based methods for I/O objects SYNOPSIS
use IO::Seekable; package IO::Something; @ISA = qw(IO::Seekable); DESCRIPTION
"IO::Seekable" does not have a constructor of its own as it is intended to be inherited by other "IO::Handle" based objects. It provides methods which allow seeking of the file descriptors. $io->getpos Returns an opaque value that represents the current position of the IO::File, or "undef" if this is not possible (eg an unseekable stream such as a terminal, pipe or socket). If the fgetpos() function is available in your C library it is used to implements getpos, else perl emulates getpos using C's ftell() function. $io->setpos Uses the value of a previous getpos call to return to a previously visited position. Returns "0 but true" on success, "undef" on failure. See perlfunc for complete descriptions of each of the following supported "IO::Seekable" methods, which are just front ends for the corresponding built-in functions: $io->seek ( POS, WHENCE ) Seek the IO::File to position POS, relative to WHENCE: WHENCE=0 (SEEK_SET) POS is absolute position. (Seek relative to the start of the file) WHENCE=1 (SEEK_CUR) POS is an offset from the current position. (Seek relative to current) WHENCE=2 (SEEK_END) POS is an offset from the end of the file. (Seek relative to end) The SEEK_* constants can be imported from the "Fcntl" module if you don't wish to use the numbers 0 1 or 2 in your code. Returns 1 upon success, 0 otherwise. $io->sysseek( POS, WHENCE ) Similar to $io->seek, but sets the IO::File's position using the system call lseek(2) directly, so will confuse most perl IO operators except sysread and syswrite (see perlfunc for full details) Returns the new position, or "undef" on failure. A position of zero is returned as the string "0 but true" $io->tell Returns the IO::File's current position, or -1 on error. SEE ALSO
perlfunc, "I/O Operators" in perlop, IO::Handle IO::File HISTORY
Derived from FileHandle.pm by Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 IO::Seekable(3perl)