Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Unable to see controller C1 on Solaris 8 Post 302995936 by hicksd8 on Saturday 15th of April 2017 05:51:48 AM
Old 04-15-2017
Your post of the 'format' command shows it can see a number of disks on c1. What happens if you try to display the vtoc of each disk?
(select a disk and then select option 'p' followed by 'p' again? Does it error or successfully display the vtoc (partition slice(s)? If it errors, please post the error.

Also, if you look in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk are the disk nodes there for each of these disks/slices? Or has someone deleted them?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to uninstall package in Solaris

I am getting the below mentioned error while trying to unistall a package from a 2.8 Solaris box. Please help.. pkgrm: ERROR: unable to determine current run-state Removal of <PDMgr> failed (internal error). No changes were made to the system. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

HD Controller does not Work in Solaris

Hi, I'm attempting to build a raid Z NAS using solaris, but I only have 4 sata ports on my MB, so I bought a Rosewill RC-211 PCIe controller (adds 2 sata II ports). I'm new to solaris, but I understand that to add a new drive, you first run #devfsadm, which puts the files into /dev/dsk. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciscocbee
3 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

unable to shutdown solaris 10

hi folks, i have a snag, when i attempt shutdown of solaris 10 on a sunfire v240 it seems to pause for ages, and goes no further, im busy learning my way around the system so please be patient. /etc(R)-bash-3.00$ init 6 /etc(R)-bash-3.00$ svc.startd: The system is coming down. Please wait.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienkidmj12
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

5. Solaris

unable to use thumbdrive in Solaris 10

hi friends, i had this problem in a Solaris 10 server when i inserted my thumbdrive, i can't find the device file containing usb. what should i do ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
2 Replies

6. Solaris

unable to login Solaris 10

I have inherited a solaris 10 server. I went to log into it the other day over the console connection, and after sucessfully entering the password, I was booted back to the login prompt with no errors visible. If I enter an incorect password, the console displays 'incorrect password' and kicks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sol-nova
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 11 server as Primary Domain Controller

Hi, All of our servers run Solaris (currently 10, but looking to upgrade to 11). In each of our offices we have a server configured as a Primary Domain Controller via Samba to provide naming services to our Windoze users. I would like to continue with that arrangement, but I would also like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wgkorb
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to add printer in Solaris

HI I am unable to add printer in solaris (architecture is SUN and OS is Solaris 10) as I try to print the file it gives following error Failed to contact service for erp-cljCP2025: not-found Need help Regards (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smazshah
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to reboot Solaris

Hi, we have a sun sparc solaris 10 machine and recently there was a power failure and one of the server domain was down. So today morning i have powered up the domain and it returned me to ok prompt then i have booted the machine with disk from devalias, the system was up as normal and no error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to get Solaris 11 Zone onto the network

Hello, I followed these instructions to create a Solaris 11 zone: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/o11-092-s11-zones-intro-524494.html And I am unable to ping anything from the Local Zone except for the IP address of the global zone. My global zone has an IP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unblockable
6 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)