Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [stdin / stdout] Strategies for redirecting outputs Post 302995680 by MadeInGermany on Monday 10th of April 2017 02:48:58 PM
Old 04-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmz
Well.. let's say i need to write a pretty simple script.

In my script i have 2 variables which can have value of 0 or 1.
  • $VERBOSE
  • $LOG

I need to implement these cases:
  1. ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 0) => ONLY ERROR output (STDERR to console && STDOUT to /dev/null)
  2. ($VERBOSE = 1 && $LOG = 0) => VERBOSE output (ALL to console)
  3. ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 1) => LOG output (ALL to file.log)
  4. ($VERBOSE = 1 && $LOG = 1) => BOTH output (ALL to console && ALL to file.log)

For now i got to understand i can do the following to put EVERYTHING to a file
Code:
exec > file.log                                                                    
exec 2>&1

Sure it is a very known argument.. but i'd like to hear some opinion Smilie
Code:
logfile=file.log
if [ $VERBOSE = 0 -a $LOG = 0 ] ; then
  exec 2>> /dev/null
elif [ $VERBOSE = 1 -a $LOG = 0 ] ; then
  :
elif [ $VERBOSE = 0 -a $LOG = 1 ] ; then
  >> $logfile 2>&1
else
  echo "output goes to $logfile"
  >> $logfile
fi

For the latter case to go to *both* file and console, you would need a pipe to tee for the following code, e.g. by means of enclosing the code with { }:
Code:
{
# block starts, see redirection at the end
: code
# redirect this block to
} 2>&1 | tee -a $logfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting to stdin

Hi, I'm having trouble with my script. I have to select different choices without any interaction from a menu that looks like : a - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx b - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx c - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx d - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx I tried things like : echo "a" >&0 read < echo "a" but none worked. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flame_eagle
4 Replies

2. Programming

stdout/stdin + flushing buffers

Hi all I've run into a snag in a program of mine where part of what I entered in at the start of run-time, instead of the current value within printf() is being printed out. After failing with fflush() and setbuf(), I tried the following approach void BufferFlusher() { int in=0;... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting several outputs to /dev/stdout

I have an executable that, depending on its input, outputs to either one file or several. It usually prints nothing on screen. The usual way to call this program is to specify an input and output filenames, like this: ./executable.exe -i inputfile -o outputfileIt will then try to use the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aplaydoc
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin from fd 3-9?

Hi I'm trying to do something on the bash command line that I will later put into a bash shell script. I'm trying to take a program that reads stdin (using getline) and be able to keep it running in the background and fire "commands" to it. So what I thought I should do was to try taking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niceguyeddie
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't close stdin/stdout in shell

#!/bin/sh exec 0</dev/null exec 1>/dev/null ls -l /proc/self/fd >&2 produces total 0 lr-x------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 0 -> /proc/7886/fd lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 1 -> /dev/pts/4 lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 2 -> /dev/pts/4 I've verified the shell is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin/stdout to/from command from/to string

Hi, I am working on a project where I have to generate and execute nasm code on-the-fly. I generate the code in a file program.asm and then execute it.This output is to stdout which i redirect to an output file which i read back to compare results: system("nasm -f elf program.asm >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc_cypher
5 Replies

8. Programming

read and write stdin/stdout in unix

Hi, i am using the below program to read from the standard input or to write to standard out put. i know that using highlevel functions this can be done better than what i have done here. i just want to know is there any other method by which i find the exact number of characters ( this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple variables assignement (stdout/stderr outputs)

Hi all, I've been looking around for this for a while and can't seem to find a satifactory way to do what I want: I would like to assign the output of stdout to a variable and that of stderr to another one, and this without using temporary files/named pipes. In other words be able to assign... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthalamus
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDIN and STDOUT

Hallo, i have a script like: if ;then echo "OK" else echo "ERROR $2 is missing" fi; if ;then touch $2 fi; if ;then cat $1 | grep xy > $2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eightball
1 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script, service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)