Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trying to get an awk script to replace values in column Post 302995526 by Eric1 on Friday 7th of April 2017 01:19:12 AM
Old 04-07-2017
Okay so first off, I would like to thank you for the reply and your assistance. I've inputted in the code you gave me with just some simple changes (like excluding the print line, as I don't want the script to print the newly changed text files, just simply change it is all) but when I try to run it it gives me an error that says "fatal: attempt to access field -86"

What could be the issue here?

EDIT: I went back and included the print line just in case that could be the issue but it still gives me this error when I try to run the script
EDIT2: Wait nevermind, I'm an idiot, my apologies. The script is working, I just made an error on my part. However, I don't really want the script to print out the results, but just simply change the values in the user-specified column of the Node files, so how would I fix that little aspect?

Last edited by Eric1; 04-07-2017 at 02:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

replace a column values with the first value in column

Hi All, I have a file which has data in following format: "Body_Model","2/1/2007","2/1/2007" "CSCH74","0","61" "CSCS74","0","647" "CSCX74","0","3" "CSYH74","0","299" "CSYS74","0","2514" "CSYX74","0","3" "Body_Model","3/1/2007","3/1/2007" "CSCH74","0","88" "CSCS74","0","489"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace the column values.

I have the below file ...where some of the column values should replaced with desired values ....below file u can find that 3 column where ever 'AAA' comes should replaced with ' CC ' NOTE : we have to pass the column number ,AAA,CC (modified value) as the parameters to the code. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charandevu
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pick values from column based on key values by usin AWK

Dear Guyz:) I have 2 different input files like this. I would like to pick the values or letters from the inputfile2 based on inputfile1 keys (A,F,N,X,Z). I have done similar task by using awk but in that case the inputfiles are similar like in inputfile2 (all keys in 1st column and values in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace values in a specified column of a file

Hello, I have a file with four columns and I would like to replace values in the second column only. An arbitrary example is: 100 A 105 B 200 B 205 C 300 C 305 D 400 D 405 E 500 E 505 F I need to replace the second column as shown below: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for each different entry in column 1 extract maximum values from column 2 in unix/awk

Hello, I have 2 columns (1st column has multiple entries but the corresponding values in the column 2 may be the same or different.) however I want to extract unique values for each entry in column 1 by assigning the max value from column 2 SDF4 -0.211654 SDF4 0.978068 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selective Replace awk column values

Hi, I have the following data: 2860377|"DATA1"|"DATA2"|"65343"|"DATA2"|"DATA4"|"11"|"DATA5"|"DATA6"|"65343"|"DATA7"|"0"|"8"|"1"|"NEGATIVE" 32340377|"DATA1"|"DATA2"|"65343"|"DATA2"|"DATA4"|"11"|"DATA5"|"DATA6"|"65343"|"DATA7"|"0"|"8"|"1"|"NEG-DID"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdohn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do replace operation and awk to sum multiple columns if another column has duplicate values

Hi Experts, Please bear with me, i need help I am learning AWk and stuck up in one issue. First point : I want to sum up column value for column 7, 9, 11,13 and column15 if rows in column 5 are duplicates.No action to be taken for rows where value in column 5 is unique. Second point : For... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to append suffix to column when column has duplicated values

Please help me to get required output for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 and need separate code for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 Scenario 1 i need to do below changes only when column1 is CR and column3 has duplicates rows/values. This inputfile can contain 100 of this duplicated rows of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a numeric values in a certain column

Hi All, I am trying to replace a certain value from one place in a file . In the below file at position 35 I will have 8 I need to modify all 8 in that position to 7 I tried awk '{gsub("8","7",$35)}1' infile > outfile ----> not working sed -i 's/8/7'g' infile --- it is replacing all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script to extract a column, replace one of the header and replace year(from ddmmyy to yyyy)

I have a csv which has lot of columns . I was looking for an awk script which would extract a column twice. for the first occurance the header and data needs to be intact but for the second occurance i want to replace the header name since it a duplicate and extract year value which is in ddmmyy... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kunalcurious
10 Replies
RUN-PARTS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      RUN-PARTS(8)

NAME
run-parts - run scripts or programs in a directory SYNOPSIS
run-parts [--test] [--verbose] [--report] [--lsbsysinit] [--regex=RE] [--umask=umask] [--arg=argument] [--exit-on-error] [--help] [--ver- sion] [--list] [--reverse] [--] DIRECTORY run-parts -V DESCRIPTION
run-parts runs all the executable files named within constraints described below, found in directory directory. Other files and directo- ries are silently ignored. If neither the --lsbsysinit option nor the --regex option is given then the names must consist entirely of ASCII upper- and lower-case let- ters, ASCII digits, ASCII underscores, and ASCII minus-hyphens. If the --lsbsysinit option is given, then the names must not end in .dpkg-old or .dpkg-dist or .dpkg-new or .dpkg-tmp, and must belong to one or more of the following namespaces: the LANANA-assigned namespace (^[a-z0-9]+$); the LSB hierarchical and reserved namespaces (^_?([a-z0-9_.]+-)+[a-z0-9]+$); and the Debian cron script namespace (^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]+$). If the --regex option is given, the names must match the custom extended regular expression specified as that option's argument. Files are run in the lexical sort order (according to the C/POSIX locale character collation rules) of their names unless the --reverse option is given, in which case they are run in the opposite order. OPTIONS
--test print the names of the scripts which would be run, but don't actually run them. --list print the names of the all matching files (not limited to executables), but don't actually run them. This option cannot be used with --test. -v, --verbose print the name of each script to stderr before running. --report similar to --verbose, but only prints the name of scripts which produce output. The script's name is printed to whichever of stdout or stderr the script first produces output on. --reverse reverse the scripts' execution order. --exit-on-error exit as soon as a script returns with a non-zero exit code. --lsbsysinit use LSB namespaces instead of classical behavior. --new-session run each script in a separate process session. If you use this option, killing run-parts will not kill the currently running script, it will run until completion. --regex=RE validate filenames against custom extended regular expression RE. See the EXAMPLES section for an example. -u, --umask=umask sets the umask to umask before running the scripts. umask should be specified in octal. By default the umask is set to 022. -a, --arg=argument pass argument to the scripts. Use --arg once for each argument you want passed. -- specifies that this is the end of the options. Any filename after -- will be not be interpreted as an option even if it starts with a hyphen. -h, --help display usage information and exit. -V, --version display version and copyright and exit. EXAMPLES
Print the names of all files in /etc that start with `p' and end with `d': run-parts --list --regex '^p.*d$' /etc COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1994 Ian Jackson. Copyright (C) 1996 Jeff Noxon. Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 Guy Maor Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Clint Adams run-parts is free software; see the GNU General Public License version 2 or later for copying conditions. There is no warranty. Debian 27 Jun 2012 RUN-PARTS(8)