Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar.gz help - Need to tweak
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Tar.gz help - Need to tweak Post 302995274 by RudiC on Tuesday 4th of April 2017 05:15:24 AM
Old 04-04-2017
What's so silly about the message cited? It's NOT an error, it's for your safety when restoring so files will not be overwritten, but there's other means to achieve this, e.g. ..skip-old-files. Or:

man tar:
Quote:
-P, --absolute-names
don't strip leading '/'s from file names
Also, the second "error" you quote is more an info. It's always worthwhile to read, analyse, and understand those messages. "What not" doesn't seem to be the result of such.
Try to --exclude the target archive - if it IS due to rhat file. Are you sure it's not the database files that are modified / written to during archiving? It's not a good idea to do a system archive with a DB live, as on restore the DB may be in an inconsistent state. Use DB tools to archive.

Last edited by RudiC; 04-04-2017 at 06:33 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tweak up

I have a script like this: while read abbrev; do sed 's/'$(echo "$abbrev" | tr "" "")'/'"$abbrev"'/g' 'output_rgt.'$$ >'tmp.'$$ mv 'tmp.'$$ 'output_rgt.'$$ done<'dict.shortcuts.'$$ And I don't know how to leave "mv" out. ('dict.shortcuts.'$$ may be... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED script needs tweak

I have a SED script that has worked for years, but broke today due to a new variable in a remote file. This is the part of the script that now won't work: sed "s|/directory/overview.gif|/directory/img/overview2.gif|g" | \ The path /directory/overview.gif is no longer static as it had been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dockline
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl line needing a tweak

Hi Folks, I have a perl line that looks like this and it works fine as is, but I need it to expand a bid further. perl -aF, -ne 'printf "conf zone %2\$s delete host %s,,,$F\n",split/\./,$F,2 if /^hostrecord/ &&/\b10\.8\.(|1)\.\d/' hosts.csv this code the way it is does this 10.8.3.0... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl find command tweak

i use the following command to find files that were recently updated within the last hour: perl -MFile::Find -le' find { wanted => sub { -f and 3600 / 86400 >= -M and print $File::Find::name; } }, shift' /var/app/mydata/ this command works well. however, it seems to also search directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_COMPRESS(1)