Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex to hunt for a string in the right hand column Post 302995178 by Aia on Monday 3rd of April 2017 12:10:59 AM
Old 04-03-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimley
Thanks a lot for your kind help. I am sorry I should have been more explicit.
I use Ultraedit which allows for regexes both under PERl and UNIX environments
Basically I want to plug in the regex in the editor and write a macro which will remove all such unwanted hyphens.
The regexes you provided work with Grep or Awk but when I plug them into the editor as Unix regexes, they do not identify correctly although the syntax seems correct.
Do not find a hyphen in column one but find in column 2
Thanks once again for your help
Please, try the following:
Code:
perl -ne '/^\w+=.+-/ and print'

Or test with any regex engine that suport Perl regex.
Code:
/^\w+=.+-/

This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi, I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word. Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot) echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ??? Tried to replace #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex on first string in a variable.

Hi all, this is driving me nuts. I need to evaluate if a variable in a shell script has a heading s or m character e.g. s92342394 or m9233489 if so then I need to get rid of them. I'm quite familiar with PERL and could do it there in 3 mins but I have not found a decent way to do this in a shell.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Endo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace if regex on specific column matches expression?

I am attempting to convert rewrite rules to Nginx, and since due to the mass amount of rewrites we must convert, I've been trying to write a script to help me on a specific part, easily. So far I have this: rewrite ^action/static/(+)/$ staticPage.php?pg=$1&%$query_string; What I want done... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering out duplicate substrings, regex string from a string

My input contains a single word lines. From each line data.txt prjtestBlaBlatestBlaBla prjthisBlaBlathisBlaBla prjthatBlaBladpthatBlaBla prjgoodBlaBladpgoodBlaBla prjgood1BlaBla123dpgood1BlaBla123 Desired output --> data_out.txt prjtestBlaBla prjthisBlaBla... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use regex on particular column (Removing comma from particular column)?

Hi, I have pipe separated file which contains some data having comma(,) in it. I want to remove the comma(,) only from particular column without changing data in other columns. Below is the sample data file, I want to remove the comma(,) only from 5th column. $ cat file1 ABC | DEF, HIJ|... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with regex containing one string but not the other

Hi to you all, I'm just struggling with a regex problem and I'm pretty sure that I'm missing sth obvious... :confused: I need a regex to feed my grep in order to find lines that contain one string but not the other. Here's the data example: 2015-04-08 19:04:55,926|xxxxxxxxxx| ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Replace Specific Column using RegEx

Have Pipe Delimited File: > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|518 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE BAXTER|3/30/2015|2233 MockingBird RD|ROW2On 3rd column where the address is located, I want to add a space after every numeric value - basically doing a "s//&\ / ": > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|5 1 8 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex matching column awk

Hi all, I want to extract rows with the pattern ALPHANUMERIC/ALPHANUMNERIC in the 2nd column. I dont wan rows with more than 1 slash or without any slash in 2nd column. a a/b b a/b/c c a/b//c d t/y e r f /f I came up with the regex grep '\/$' file a a/b b a/b/c d t/y (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
3 Replies
Text::Glob(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Text::Glob(3)

NAME
Text::Glob - match globbing patterns against text SYNOPSIS
use Text::Glob qw( match_glob glob_to_regex ); print "matched " if match_glob( "foo.*", "foo.bar" ); # prints foo.bar and foo.baz my $regex = glob_to_regex( "foo.*" ); for ( qw( foo.bar foo.baz foo bar ) ) { print "matched: $_ " if /$regex/; } DESCRIPTION
Text::Glob implements glob(3) style matching that can be used to match against text, rather than fetching names from a filesystem. If you want to do full file globbing use the File::Glob module instead. Routines match_glob( $glob, @things_to_test ) Returns the list of things which match the glob from the source list. glob_to_regex( $glob ) Returns a compiled regex which is the equivalent of the globbing pattern. glob_to_regex_string( $glob ) Returns a regex string which is the equivalent of the globbing pattern. SYNTAX
The following metacharacters and rules are respected. "*" - match zero or more characters "a*" matches "a", "aa", "aaaa" and many many more. "?" - match exactly one character "a?" matches "aa", but not "a", or "aaa" Character sets/ranges "example.[ch]" matches "example.c" and "example.h" "demo.[a-c]" matches "demo.a", "demo.b", and "demo.c" alternation "example.{foo,bar,baz}" matches "example.foo", "example.bar", and "example.baz" leading . must be explictly matched "*.foo" does not match ".bar.foo". For this you must either specify the leading . in the glob pattern (".*.foo"), or set $Text::Glob::strict_leading_dot to a false value while compiling the regex. "*" and "?" do not match / "*.foo" does not match "bar/baz.foo". For this you must either explicitly match the / in the glob ("*/*.foo"), or set $Text::Glob::strict_wildcard_slash to a false value with compiling the regex. BUGS
The code uses qr// to produce compiled regexes, therefore this module requires perl version 5.005_03 or newer. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Glob, glob(3) perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 Text::Glob(3)