Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and replace specific positions of specific lines Post 302994937 by dsid on Wednesday 29th of March 2017 02:38:47 PM
Old 03-29-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
You can use 000 instead of ..., which means that it will only be replaced by 036 if positions 137-139 will be zeros on a line that starts with 4000. Any other value will not get replaced, and be left as is..
this is exactly what i want

Quote:
If you use ... then any value there will be replaced
I am pretty sure there will never be any other characters than 000..but its good to learn how i can use the 3 dots while searching for a pattern

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Thread continued here

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-31-2017 at 01:47 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help search and replace hex values only in specific files

perl -pi -e 's/\x00/\x0d\x0a/g' `grep -l $'GS' filelist` This isn't working :confused:, it's not pulling the files that contain the regex. Please help me rewrite this :wall:. Ideally for this to work on 9K of 20K files in the directory, I've tried this but I don't know enough about awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent request to consider:Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as # Drug_Target_X_Gene_Name:(Where X can be any number (1-1000) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific characters at specific column positions

Hi all, I need help. I have an input text file (input.txt) like this: 21 GTGCAACACCGTCTTGAGAGG 50 21 GACCGAGACAGAATGAAAATC 73 21 CGGGTCTGTAGTAGCAAACGC 108 21 CGAAAAATGAACCCCTTTATC 220 21 CGTGATCCTGTTGAAGGGTCG 259 Now I need to count A/T/G/C numbers at each character location in column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace specific positions on line with file contents

Hi, I am trying to use an awk command to replace specific character positions on a line beginning with 80 with contents of another file. The line beginning with 80 in file1 is as follows: I want to replace the 000000000178800 (positions 34 - 49) on this file with the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwalsh88
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific string logfile specific date range

Hi, I have logfile like this.. === 2014-02-09 15:46:59,936 INFO RequestContext - URL: '/eyisp/sc/skins/EY/images/pickers/comboBoxPicker_Over.png', User-Agent: 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko': Unsupported with Accept-Encoding header === 2015-02-09... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishk
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Replace Specific Column using RegEx

Have Pipe Delimited File: > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|518 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE BAXTER|3/30/2015|2233 MockingBird RD|ROW2On 3rd column where the address is located, I want to add a space after every numeric value - basically doing a "s//&\ / ": > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|5 1 8 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter lines based on values at specific positions

hi. I have a Fixed Length text file as input where the character positions 4-5(two character positions starting from 4th position) indicates the LOB indicator. The file structure is something like below: 10126Apple DrinkOmaha 10231Milkshake New Jersey 103 Billabong Illinois ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace specific positions in a file

I have a fixed-length positional file. I am trying to replace content of position 4-13 (length=10) with xxxxxxxxxx. Sample 2 rows in this file: H0187459823 172SMITH, JOE H0112345678 172DOE, JANE In this example 87459823 (from 1st line) and 12345678 (from 2nd line) (both in position... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diver181
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)