Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash calling a few functions syntax error Post 302994816 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 28th of March 2017 12:48:49 PM
Old 03-28-2017
backup has to be declared before you call it - functions are best put to near the very topof a script file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling functions in scripts directly

Hi, I have a menu driven script that does various tasks, I want to be able to call functions directly from within other unix scripts from my menu script. Is this possible? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiquidChild
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script syntax error

I'm trying to write a simple script that takes all the .tar.gz files in a directory and verifies them by using the gzip -tv command: for zip in *.tar.gz do gzip -tv $zip if ; then #Check return code from tar echo "File ${zip} verified OK." exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Functions of Other K Shell Program

Hi, I have a K shell a.ksh function abc { // Some logic } In b.ksh i have included the a.ksh ./a.ksh I want to call the abc function from this b.ksh script. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash syntax error: command not found

I am trying to create a shell that asks the user to enter their name, and compare it to my own by saying we have the same name or saying my name and that they have a nice name too. Here is my script... #!/bin/bash-x echo "Enter your name". read name if then echo "My name is Adam too"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amaxey45
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling multiple functions in parallel

Hello, I have multiple functions within a shell script. eg. function_database_backup, unix_tar_creation, etc. I would like to run these functions in parallel, as each is independent of the other. If these were simple commands, I could have probably run each of the commands in background. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil.k
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax error

while read line do mkdir $line scp -r Docking_results/docking_$line.pdb $line/ cd /$line/ set a=`grep ENDMDL docking_'$line'.pdb | wc -l` set b=`expr $a - 2` csplit -k -s -n 3 -f docking_'$line'. docking'$line'.pdb '/^ENDMDL/+1' '{'$b'}' foreach f (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Bash Functions in the BG

I'm trying to call some functions in the background so that I can multitask in this script. Not working so hot. The functions I call don't ever seem to get called. I'm doing it the exact same way in another script and it's working like a champ so I'm very confused. Here's a pretty simple repro: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonkers
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

// AIX 6.1 I am getting a syntax error below. Please advise what to be corrected. :confused: runmqsc CERN.$(echo `hostname` | cut -d'.' -f1 | tr '' '').$(echo $environment | tr '' '') <<! | egrep -i '(FROM.NC.APPLIANCE)' | sort -u |awk '{print $2}' | cut -d '(' -f2 | cut -d ')' -f1 |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in subtraction in Bash

I am sharing a code snippet. for (( i=0; i<=$(( $count -1 )); i++ )) do first=${barr2} search=${barr1} echo $first echo "loop begins" for (( j=0; j<=5000; j++ )) do if } == $search ]]; then echo $j break; fi done second=${harr2} echo $second (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)