Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Single LUN or multiple smaller LUNs for NFS sharing Post 302994783 by SallyB on Tuesday 28th of March 2017 05:42:26 AM
Old 03-28-2017
Single LUN or multiple smaller LUNs for NFS sharing

We are using Solaris 11 Logical Domains. We NFS share a disk backup area from one LDom to other servers. The share is on a single 1.5 Tb LUN presented to the Control Domain, and as a virtual disk on the NFS server LDom. A 1.5 Tb zpool has been created on the LDom. We now need to provide more disk backup capacity, It needs to increase to 5.5 TB. My question is: Is it better to increase the size of this LUN to 5.5 Tb or to have a second or multiple smaller LUNS?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Sharing ISO images over NFS

I've got a bunch of application CDs that I use here at home under Wine. They are Windows applications and as such, some of them want to see the volume label in order for the application to run. So... just copying the CD-ROM contents to a directory doesn't work. With that in mind, what I've done... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deckard
1 Replies

2. Linux

Problem in sharing Symlink via NFS

Hi, I have created symlink under /. It is /latest Pointing to /home/users/neel_prog_V1.0. (Note: I have created this symlink so that when version get changed I will need to change only symlink instead of doing changes in /etc/exports.) I have shared this symlink with NFS. in /etc/exports I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

sharing web files via NFS mount

I'm planning to load balance 2 web servers. I'm considering mounting an NFS share between the 2 servers so they can share the data. My question is: does this setup offset some of the benefits of load balancing? although there are 2 web servers, they both still access a single NFS server. Wouldn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaspol
2 Replies

4. AIX

Single command to change the attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host

Hi, I would like to know if there is a command similar to scsimgr in HP-UX that can help me change the algorithm and reserve_policy attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host. Otherwise I would have to use, chdev -l hdiskX -a algorithm=round_robin reserve_policy=no_reserve in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
1 Replies

5. Solaris

NFS sharing across platforms

Hi, Not sure where to post this, I'm sorry and need suggestion if this is wrong section. we are running NFS Server on Solaris 10 and client box is HP-UX 11.11 (Can't apply latest patches/upgrades as in-house appln. doesn't allow) I am able to mount NFS shares from this Solaris box onto all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

6. AIX

Sharing lun between 2 LPAR

Hi, I would like to know how to share lun in between 2 lpars. I have run tbe below command on vio server. /usr/sbin/chdev -l hdisk1 -a reserve_policy=no_reserve after above command I am able to assign lun on one Lpar. but it is not visible to other lpar. even after this I have run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Program sharing on NFS

I am not sure is this plausible... I have just built a NFS master server on a solaris box (secured by NIS) And I have a dozen of virtual machines running 32 and 64 bits linux and windows, running different types of servers. I am not sure is it possible to move most of the programs to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xstaci
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sharing a network mount preferably with NFS

Hello, I would like to share a 9p (Plan 9) passthrough/share to a VM via NFS (using a guest as an NFS server to share a directory from the host) At the moment I am getting the error message: 'exportfs: /share does not support NFS export'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scratch
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Mpathadm showing no paths to 1 lun, others luns are fine

Hi, I've noticed that mpathadm states that one of our luns has no active paths: /dev/rdsk/c6t60000970000298700009533031324333d0s2 Total Path Count: 4 Operational Path Count: 4 /dev/rdsk/c6t60000970000298700009533031333037d0s2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split files into smaller ones with 1000 hierarchies in a single file.

input file: AD,00,--,---,---,---,---,---,---,--,--,--- AM,000,---,---,---,---,---,--- AR, ,---,--,---,--- AA,---,---,---,--- AT,--- AU,---,---,--- AS,---,--- AP,---,---,--- AI,--- AD,00,---,---,---, ,---,---,---,---,---,--- AM,000,---,---,--- AR,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcdg859
6 Replies
nfs4_max_transfer_size(5)					File Formats Manual					 nfs4_max_transfer_size(5)

NAME
nfs4_max_transfer_size - control the size of the data portion of a NFS version 4 read, write, readdir, or readdirplus request VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values A warning will be issued at runtime if the tunable is set to a value greater than 1048576 since this is outside the tested limits. This is not a serious warning but just an information message for the administrator. DESCRIPTION
controls the maximum size of the data portion of a NFS version 4 read, write, readdir, or readdirplus request. This parameter controls both the maximum size of a request that the server returns as well as the maximum size of a request that the client generates. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Distributed file system administrators should examine this value if they want to decrease or increase the default size of a NFS packet. Restrictions on Changing The tunable is dynamic; however, the transfer size for a file system is set when the file system is mounted. To affect a particular file system, unmount and mount the file system after changing this parameter. The actual NFS version 4 transfer size is controlled by these tunable parameters: and The actual transfer size will depend on the tunable with the smallest value. For NFS version 4 traffic increase and to the same value to increase the transfer size. To decrease the transfer size, just changing is sufficient. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? An increase in the transfer size will result in fewer requests to the NFS server at the expense of system resources on both the NFS client and NFS server. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? An increase in system resources on both the NFS client and NFS server. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? In the event of NFS communication failures, the value should be changed back to the default value. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? An increase in NFS version 4 network traffic caused by an increase in the number of I/O requests. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2), nfs4_bsize(5), nfs4_max_transfer_size_cots(5), values(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters nfs4_max_transfer_size(5)