Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Warning using 'find'.
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Warning using 'find'. Post 302994616 by Don Cragun on Saturday 25th of March 2017 07:12:28 AM
Old 03-25-2017
In addition to ls, hidden files (i.e., files with a <period> as the first character of their name) are not found using the asterisk in the shell as a filename matching pattern unless you explicitly include <period> as the first character in the pattern. For example:
Code:
echo 'unhidden files:'
printf '"%s"\n' *
printf '\n\nhidden files:'
printf '"%s"\n' .*

prints two distinct sets of files

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Jumpstart -- Warning: Could not find matching rule in rules.ok

I just setup a new jumpstart server, and I'm having problems with rules.ok errors. I'm coming up blank after many Google searches, forum searches, etc..... This is the error I receive: Skipped interface e1000g1 Attempting to configure interface e1000g0... Configured interface e1000g0... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command giving incomplete sentence warning

Hi , I am adding a line in my shell scripts to delete all the old directory with the below command. On running this command it is coming out with the message find: incomplete statement find /ersdg3/ERS/ERS_INPUT_LOGS/RIO/rio_archive -type d -mtime +47 -exec rm -rf {} What is wrong or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
3 Replies
whereis(1)						      General Commands Manual							whereis(1)

NAME
whereis - Locates files for programs SYNOPSIS
whereis [-bms] [-u] [-BMS directory... -f] program... The whereis command locates source, binary, and/or reference page files for the specified program program. OPTIONS
The -b, -m, and -s options can be used in combination to restrict the search. Searches for an executable program. Searches for the refer- ence page for a program. Searches for the sources of a program. Use the -B, -M, and -S options to change or limit the places whereis searches. Specifies the binary directories to search. Specifies the reference page directories to search. Specifies the source directories to search. The other options that can be used with whereis are as follows: Terminates the last directory list and signals the start of program names. Used with other options to indicate when there is no file for program in the default or specified directory or directories (source, binary, or reference page). DESCRIPTION
The whereis program locates source, binary, and reference pages for the specified programs. When looking for a match, the program names are stripped of leading pathname components and any trailing extensions of the form (for example, s. resulting from the use of the Source Code Control System see sccs(1), are also handled. The default directories searched by the whereis command are as follows: /etc /etc/nls /sbin /usr/bin /usr/lbin /usr/lbin/spell /usr/ccs/lib /usr/lib /usr/local /usr/hosts /usr/sbin EXAMPLES
To find files matching cat in the default source, binary, and reference directories, enter: whereis cat To search for reference pages for app13 in the directory /usr/local/man, enter: whereis -M /usr/local/man -f -f appl3 To find the programs in /usr/bin that do not have ref- erence pages in /usr/share/man/man1 with source files in /usr/src/cmd, enter: whereis -u -M /usr/share/man/man1 -S /usr/src/cmd -f /usr/bin/* To find which files in the current directory either have no reference pages in the default reference directories or have more than one, enter: whereis -m -u * FILES
Default binary directories. Default binary directories. Default reference directories. Default source directories. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), find(1), man(1), which(1), catman(8) whereis(1)