Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find all the multi line pattern and redirecting it to a file? Post 302994003 by vgersh99 on Friday 17th of March 2017 09:59:51 AM
Old 03-17-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir_raihan
I've a file like this

Code:
{multi line
  pattern}
{
some other stuff
}
{multi line
  pattern}
{
some other stuff
}

and so on

I want to redirect every multiline pattern in a new file using awk

---------- Post updated at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:05 PM ----------

I'm using the following command

awk '/start pattern/,/end pattern/' file_to_search > file_to_redirect
it's working but it is only extracting first pattern not the every multiline pattern
I'd say your startPat/endPat pai is good ONLY for the first 'block'.
Any leading/trailing spaces/tabs/etc...
Make sure it works for the others....

A sample would help as well....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find pattern delete line with pattern and line above and line below

I have a file that will sometimes contain a pattern. The pattern is this: W/D FRM CHK 00 I want to find any lines with this pattern, delete those lines, and also delete the line above and the line below. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multi line multirecord find and replace

Hello I am looking to have a script that performs some tasks for find and replace and inserts a line as well. I have done some programming 10 years ago, so it is causing me a little grief. File consists of 2500 records. I will show you a sample consisting of two records below and what needs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdc01
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a pattern on a line from a csv file

hello I'm doing a unix program and i'm using many file csv.in each csv file the colums are separated by ";" I would like to know the position of a pattern. For example for a line yyyy, bbbb, cccc; ddddd;eeee. I will like for example by finding the position of the pattern "cccc" and the response is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: papis
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print between multi line pattern

Hi, I have a file with text like this .SET WIDTH 10000 .SET MAXERROR 1 insert into new_db SELECT * FROM some_db ; +---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+- .SET WIDTH 10000... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find next line based on pattern, if it is similar pattern skip it

Hi, I am able to get next line if it is matching a particular pattern. But i need a way to skip if next line also matches same pattern.. For example: No Records No Records Records found got it Records found Now i want to find 'Records found' after 'No Records' pattern matches.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagpa531
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed multiple multi line blocks of text containing pattern

Hi, I have a log file which has sessionids in it, each block in the log starts with a date entry, a block may be a single line or multiple lines. I need to sed (or awk) out the lines/blocks with that start with a date and include the session id. The files are large at several Gb. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies
fileutil::multi(n)						  file utilities						fileutil::multi(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
fileutil::multi - Multi-file operation, scatter/gather, standard object SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require fileutil::multi ?0.1? package require fileutil::multi::op ?0.1? package require wip ?1.0? ::fileutil::multi ?word...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a single command to perform actions on multiple files selected by glob patterns. It is a thin layer over the package fileutil::multi::op which provides objects for the same. This package simply creates a single such object and directs all file commands to it. At the core is a domain specific language allowing the easy specification of multi-file copy and/or move and/or deletion operations. Alter- nate names would be scatter/gather processor, or maybe even assembler. For the detailed specification of this language, and examples, please see the documention for the package fileutil::multi::op. PUBLIC API
The main command of the package is: ::fileutil::multi ?word...? This command interprets the specified words as file commands to execute. See the section FILE API of the documentation for the pack- age fileutil::multi::op for the set of acceptable commands, their syntax, and semantics. The result of the command is the result generated by the last file command it executed. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category fileutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
copy, file utilities, move, multi-file, remove fileutil 0.1 fileutil::multi(n)