Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk : ORS not to be printed after the last record Post 302993919 by chandana.hs on Thursday 16th of March 2017 06:39:42 AM
Old 03-16-2017
Thanks RudiC,

i have written something like below in sed & awk,
Code:
var1=$(ls /etc/init.d/*was.init | sed '/interdependentwas/d;/NodeAgent/d;/dmgr/d;s#/etc/init.d/##g;s#.*#/sbin/service & status#g' | awk 'BEGIN {ORS=" && "} y{print s}{s=$0;y=1}END{ORS="";print s}')
echo $var1

Output is :
Code:
/sbin/service cmserver_was.init status && /sbin/service fmserver_was.init status && /sbin/service ihs_was.init status && /sbin/service intgserver_was.init status && /sbin/service itsmserver_was.init status && /sbin/service server2_was.init status && /sbin/service sysserver_was.init status

execution of the above $var1 executes only
Code:
/sbin/service cmserver_was.init status

, but not all the services status check with logical AND, can you suggest whats going wrong!

$var1 execution output:
Code:
scripts]# $var1
Server - cmserver is running (5330).

while just the copy paste of the $var content execution:
Code:
# /sbin/service cmserver_was.init status && /sbin/service fmserver_was.init status && /sbin/service ihs_was.init status && /sbin/service intgserver_was.init status && /sbin/service itsmserver_was.init status && /sbin/service server2_was.init status && /sbin/service sysserver_was.init status
Server - cmserver is running (5330).
Server - fmserver is running (6977).
Server is running.
Server - intgserver is running (15401).
Server - itsmserver is running (8771).
Server - server2 is running (7679).
Server - sysserver is running (2698).

simpler code is also welcome Smilie

Thanks,
Chandana

Last edited by chandana.hs; 03-16-2017 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: added sample output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rs and ors in gawk ...????

:D dear members I have a good knowledge of gawk and seem to do quite well with it.. but I have never understood what the use of the rs and ors are for or how they are used.. i am thinking they are for seperating lines and paragraphs but i have absolutely no idea how to make it work, if that is what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Record too long for awk

I am trying to generate a small report with the help of awk. The contents are present in a file whose last line is very long. I can't shorten this line as its generated after a lot of processing. On reading this file awk says record "starting of line ..." too long record number 30 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: record has too many fields

Hi, I'm trying this command - but get this error. Do you guys have any workaround for this? cat tf|sed 's/{//g'|sed 's/,//g'|awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i == "OPTIME") {k = i + 2; print $i,$k}}}' awk: record `2005 Jul 28 17:35:29...' has too many fields record number 15 This is how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble getting the next to last record with awk

Hello all, I'm a beginner to shell/ awk script writing, and I'm trying to do something that looks like it shouldn't be (too) hard at all to do, but unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to find the right way to do it with awk. I need to look for the time several processes start & end in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muadib
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: print all URL addresses between iframe tags without repeating an already printed URL

Here is what I have so far: find . -name "*php*" -or -name "*htm*" | xargs grep -i iframe | awk -F'"' '/<iframe*/{gsub(/.\*iframe>/,"\"");print $2}' Here is an example content of a PHP or HTM(HTML) file: <iframe src="http://ADDRESS_1/?click=5BBB08\" width=1 height=1... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: striker4o
18 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk: record too long

Hi All , I am getting record too long for the below command . nawk -F\" '{a=a" "$2} END{for(i in a) print i,a }' test|sort|awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) t=t"\t"$i;if(NF>max)max=NF} END{for(i=1;i<=max;i++)print t }' File test has 850 records ... Please help.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare current record,with next and previous record in awk without using array?

Hi! all can any one tell me how to compare current record of column with next and previous record in awk without using array my case is like this input.txt 0 32 1 26 2 27 3 34 4 26 5 25 6 24 9 23 0 32 1 28 2 15 3 26 4 24 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dona Clara
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk RS/ORS error

Hello, I am trying to filter fastq file (in short, every 4 lines to be a record) based on the GC counts (GC-contents) in sequence (i.e. field 2), which is the count % of the G/C chars in the string. The example script is to pick up records with GC contents > 0.6 in the sequence (second field). ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get row data printed in column using awk?

Hi team, I have below sample file. $ cat sample dn: MSISDN=400512345677,dc=msisdn,ou=NPSD,serv=CSPS,ou=servCommonData,dc=stc structuralObjectClass: NphData objectClass: NphData objectClass: MSISDN entryDS: 0 nodeId: 35 createTimestamp: 20170216121047Z modifyTimestamp: 20170216121047Z... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can someone please explain why we need to set ORS in below awk code?

Question: Write a command to print the fields in a text file in reverse order? awk 'BEGIN {ORS=""} { for(i=NF;i>0;i--) print $i," "; print "\n"}' filename I was thinking it should be (what is the need to set ORS="" ? )- awk 'BEGIN { for(i=NF;i>0;i--) print $i," "; print "\n"}' filename (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
SERVICE(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)