Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract paragraphs and count them Post 302993684 by dsid on Monday 13th of March 2017 12:25:45 PM
Old 03-13-2017
Hi drysdalk,

Yes I do understand. sorting would kind of get tricky. But a summarized information would also do the trick I guess. I did try to find a pattern in the 'Original presentment Not Found !' block and the only things of use were the 'Institution number'; 6th line from the 'BEGIN MESSAGE' and 'Acquirer Reference:'; 16th line from 'BEGIN MESSAGE'. The other warnings/errors don't have this particular information so I need to further analyze the logs to find a common pattern.

For the moment printing out the 'Institution number' and 'Acquirer Reference:' would kind of do the trick at least for the 'Original presentment Not Found !' block

Thanks for your help again.

---------- Post updated at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
what kind of sorting do you have in mind? What's the sorting criteria?
I foresee building up an awk hash index by "criteria" with actual block as hash-ed value and sorting the hash once built...
Just my $.02
i was looking for some sort of block sorting, for eg , a single block constitutes a
BEGIN MESSAGE and an END MESSAGE. The attachment at the start of the forum has the blocks. In this block would be an error/warning message. Based on that error/warning message, if my blocks are sorted, it would a bit easier for me to figure out how many of those error/warning message blocks are there in the original file

Hope my words made some sense. Let me know if its not clear

Last edited by dsid; 03-13-2017 at 01:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract paragraphs from file in BASH script followed by prefix ! , !! and !!!

I]hi all i am in confusion since last 2 days :( i posted thraed yesterday and some friends did help but still i couldnt get solution to my problem let it be very clear i have a long log file of alkatel switch and i have to seperate the minor major and critical alarms shown by ! , !! and !!!... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nabmufti
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to filter out some paragraphs in a file

Hi, I am trying to filter out those paragraphs that contains 'CONNECT', 'alter system switch logfile'. That means say the input file is : ------------------------------------------------------- Wed Jun 7 00:32:31 2006 ACTION : 'CONNECT' CLIENT USER: prdadm CLIENT TERMINAL: Wed Jun 7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnlhap
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract specific data and count number containing sets from a file?

Hello everybody! I am quit new here and hope you can help me. Using an awk script I am trying to extract data from several files. The structure of the input files is as follows: TimeStep parameter1 parameter2 parameter3 parameter4 e.g. 1 X Y Z L 1 D H Z I 1 H Y E W 2 D H G F 2 R... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel8472
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string from multiple file based on line count number

Hi, I search all forum, but I can not find solutions of my problem :( I have multiple files (5000 files), inside there is this data : FILE 1: 1195.921 -898.995 0.750312E-02-0.497526E-02 0.195382E-05 0.609417E-05 -2021.287 1305.479-0.819754E-02 0.107572E-01 0.313018E-05 0.885066E-05 ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract paragraphs under conditions

Hi all, I want to extract some paragraphs out of a file under certain conditions. - The paragraph must start with 'fmri' - The paragraph must contain the string 'restarter svc:/system/svc/restarter:default' My input is like that : fmri svc:/system/vxpbx:default state_time Wed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armoric
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sorting in paragraphs

I am very new to shell scripting, current try to do a sorting of a text file in paragraphs with ksh script. example: File content: A1100001 line 1 = "testing" line 2 = something, line 3 = 100 D1200003 line 1 = "testing" line 2 = something, line 3 = 100 B1200003 line 1 =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavin_L
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract and count number of Duplicate rows

Hi All, I need to extract duplicate rows from a file and write these bad records into another file. And need to have a count of these bad records. i have a command awk ' {s++} END { for(i in s) { if(s>1) { print i } } }' ${TMP_DUPE_RECS}>>${TMP_BAD_DATA_DUPE_RECS}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip the delimiter with in double quotes and count the number of delimiters during data extract

Hi All, I'm stuck-up in finding a way to skip the delimiter which come within double quotes using awk or any other better option. can someone please help me out. Below are the details: Delimited: | Sample data: 742433154|"SYN|THESIS MED CHEM PTY.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract count of string in all files and display on date wise

Hi All, hope you all are doing well! I kindly ask you for shell scripting help, here is the description: I have huge number of files shown below on date wise, which contains different strings(numbers you can say) including 505001 and 602001. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract lines that have dupliucate and count them

Dear friends i have big file and i want to export the filw with new column for the lines that have same duplicate value in first column : ex : , ex : -bash-3.00$ cat INTCONT-IS.CSV M205-00-106_AMDRN:1-0-6-22,12-662-4833,intContact,2016-11-15 02:32:16,50... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: is2_egypt
9 Replies
YAZ_SORT(3)								 1							       YAZ_SORT(3)

yaz_sort - Sets sorting criteria

SYNOPSIS
void yaz_sort (resource $id, string $criteria) DESCRIPTION
This function sets sorting criteria and enables Z39.50 Sort. Call this function beforeyaz_search(3). Using this function alone does not have any effect. When used in conjunction with yaz_search(3), a Z39.50 Sort will be sent after a search response has been received and before any records are retrieved with Z39.50 Present (yaz_present(3). PARAMETERS
o $id - The connection resource returned by yaz_connect(3). o $criteria - A string that takes the form field1 flags1 field2 flags2 where field1 specifies the primary attributes for sort, field2 seconds, etc.. The field specifies either a numerical attribute combinations consisting of type=value pairs separated by comma (e.g. 1=4,2=1) ; or the field may specify a plain string criteria (e.g. title. The flags is a sequence of the following characters which may not be separated by any white space. Sort Flags o a - Sort ascending o d - Sort descending o i - Case insensitive sorting o s - Case sensitive sorting RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Sort Criterias To sort on Bib1 attribute title, case insensitive, and ascending you would use the following sort criteria: 1=4 ia If the secondary sorting criteria should be author, case sensitive and ascending you would use: 1=4 ia 1=1003 sa PHP Documentation Group YAZ_SORT(3)