Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Like operator in IF statement Post 302993412 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of March 2017 12:25:33 PM
Old 03-09-2017
The reply showed the correct syntax for you to use.

Have you tried it?

Does it work?

If not, in what way did it not work?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

And operator

I am trying to check two variables and if both are blank I want to set a flag: the_f3_pid=`rsh $target ps -ef | grep "f3.eab" | awk '{print $2}'` the_f7_pid=`rsh $target ps -ef | grep "f7.eab" | awk '{print $2}'` if ; then y=1 fi I get an error: ./script_name: test: 0403-021 ]... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diamond operator in Until Statement (perl)

Hello: I have the following perl script which is giving me trouble inside the second elsif statement. The purpose of the script is to go through a file and print out only those lines which contain pertinent information. The tricky part came when I realized that certain items actually spanned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: erichpowell
5 Replies

5. Programming

new operator

Hi, Please clear the 2 questions, 2 Questions, 1) Why the new as a operator? Is there any special reason why it can't be a function like malloc? 2) How are we considering sizeof(),new are as a opearartors? I know + - * / -> , . etc.. are operators, which criteria satisfied by sizeof()... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot properly employ "or" operator in an if statement (bash)

Hi, I have a variable, $sername, and I would like to display this variable only if it *does not* contain either of these two tags: *DTI*FA* or *DIFF*FA*. I think the syntax for my 'or' operator is off. The variable $sername is continuously changing in an outer loop (not shown), but at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What "-a" operator means in "if" statement

Hi I am trying to figure out what the following line does, I work in ksh88: ] && LIST="$big $LIST" Not sure what "-a" means in that case. Thanks a lot for any advice -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write If statement using && and operator in Unix

Hi What is the syntax for if statement using && and || operator? if && ] || here its giving me an error to this if statement any suggestion?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk if statement / equals operator

Hi, I was hoping someone could explain this please :) I'm using bash, scientific linux... and I don't know what else you need to know. With awk '{ if( 0.3 == 0.1*3) print $1}' file.dat nothing will be printed since apparently the two numbers do not equate. (Using 0.3 != 0.1*3 is seen... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golpette
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
xcb-requests(3) 						   XCB examples 						   xcb-requests(3)

NAME
xcb-requests - about request manpages DESCRIPTION
Every request in X11, like MapWindow, corresponds to a number of functions and data structures in XCB. For MapWindow, XCB provides the function xcb_map_window, which fills the xcb_map_window_request_t data structure and writes that to the X11 connection. Since the MapWindow request does not have a reply, this is the most simple case. REPLIES
Many requests have replies. For each reply, XCB provides at least a corresponding data structure and a function to return a pointer to a filled data structure. Let's take the InternAtom request as an example: XCB provides the xcb_intern_atom_reply_t data structure and xcb_intern_atom_reply function. For replies which are more complex (for example lists, such as in xcb_list_fonts), accessor functions are provided. COOKIES
XCB returns a cookie for each request you send. This is an XCB-specific data structure containing the sequence number with which the request was sent to the X11 server. To get any reply, you have to provide that cookie (so that XCB knows which of the waiting replies you want). Here is an example to illustrate the use of cookies: void my_example(xcb_connection *conn) { xcb_intern_atom_cookie_t cookie; xcb_intern_atom_reply_t *reply; cookie = xcb_intern_atom(conn, 0, strlen("_NET_WM_NAME"), "_NET_WM_NAME"); /* ... do other work here if possible ... */ if ((reply = xcb_intern_atom_reply(conn, cookie, NULL))) { printf("The _NET_WM_NAME atom has ID %u0, reply->atom); } free(reply); } CHECKED VS. UNCHECKED The checked and unchecked suffixes for functions determine which kind of error handling is used for this specific request. For requests which have no reply (for example xcb_map_window), errors will be delivered to the event loop (you will receive an X11 event of type 0 when calling xcb_poll_for_event). If you want to explicitly check for errors in a blocking fashion, call the _checked version of the function (for example xcb_map_window_checked) and use xcb_request_check. For requests which have a reply (for example xcb_intern_atom), errors will be checked when calling the reply function. To get errors in the event loop instead, use the _unchecked version of the function (for example xcb_intern_atom_unchecked). Here is an example which illustrates the four different ways of handling errors: /* * Request without a reply, handling errors in the event loop (default) * */ void my_example(xcb_connection *conn, xcb_window_t window) { /* This is a request without a reply. Errors will be delivered to the event * loop. Getting an error to xcb_map_window most likely is a bug in our * program, so we don't need to check for that in a blocking way. */ xcb_map_window(conn, window); /* ... of course your event loop would not be in the same function ... */ while ((event = xcb_wait_for_event(conn)) != NULL) { if (event->response_type == 0) { fprintf("Received X11 error %d ", error->error_code); free(event); continue; } /* ... handle a normal event ... */ } } /* * Request without a reply, handling errors directly * */ void my_example(xcb_connection *conn, xcb_window_t deco, xcb_window_t window) { /* A reparenting window manager wants to know whether a new window was * successfully reparented. If not (because the window got destroyed * already, for example), it does not make sense to map an empty window * decoration at all, so we need to know this right now. */ xcb_void_cookie_t cookie = xcb_reparent_window_checked(conn, window, deco, 0, 0); xcb_generic_error_t *error; if ((error = xcb_request_check(conn, cookie))) { fprintf(stderr, "Could not reparent the window "); free(error); return; } /* ... do window manager stuff here ... */ } /* * Request with a reply, handling errors directly (default) * */ void my_example(xcb_connection *conn, xcb_window_t window) { xcb_intern_atom_cookie_t cookie; xcb_intern_atom_reply_t *reply; xcb_generic_error_t *error; cookie = xcb_intern_atom(c, 0, strlen("_NET_WM_NAME"), "_NET_WM_NAME"); /* ... do other work here if possible ... */ if ((reply = xcb_intern_atom_reply(c, cookie, &error))) { printf("The _NET_WM_NAME atom has ID %u0, reply->atom); free(reply); } else { fprintf(stderr, "X11 Error %d ", error->error_code); free(error); } } /* * Request with a reply, handling errors in the event loop * */ void my_example(xcb_connection *conn, xcb_window_t window) { xcb_intern_atom_cookie_t cookie; xcb_intern_atom_reply_t *reply; cookie = xcb_intern_atom_unchecked(c, 0, strlen("_NET_WM_NAME"), "_NET_WM_NAME"); /* ... do other work here if possible ... */ if ((reply = xcb_intern_atom_reply(c, cookie, NULL))) { printf("The _NET_WM_NAME atom has ID %u0, reply->atom); free(reply); } /* ... of course your event loop would not be in the same function ... */ while ((event = xcb_wait_for_event(conn)) != NULL) { if (event->response_type == 0) { fprintf("Received X11 error %d ", error->error_code); free(event); continue; } /* ... handle a normal event ... */ } } SEE ALSO
xcb_map_window(3), xcb_intern_atom(3), xcb_list_fonts(3), xcb_poll_for_event(3), xcb_request_check(3) AUTHOR
Michael Stapelberg <michael+xcb at stapelberg dot de> XCB
2011-12-11 xcb-requests(3)