Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Problems after deleting /var/tmp Post 302993106 by vbe on Tuesday 7th of March 2017 03:01:12 AM
Old 03-07-2017
/var/tmp is one of the most important directories in HP-UX as used by the system... You are lucky you havent rebooted your box because there you would have known how important...
Thats years now I havent had a box around but I can tell you all the system writings go there and as drysdalk mentionned its permissions are important I cant think of scripts but links yes there are some.. so I would get a backup and have a look or restore from backup then do some cleaning up... mostly reducing the size of logs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process responsible for filling up /var/tmp

Hi, Help ! - I have a process which I cannot find that is writing to /var/tmp every 10 minutes and filling up my partition, it is also filling up my wtmpx file. I have some software error correction for a faulty DIMM at the moment - is this likely to be causing this as well as over-loading my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mal
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

default permission of /var/tmp in AIX

I'm getting an error when trying to vi my .profile. This is the first time I've logged onto this machine and apparently its rarely logged into. I'm assuming from the error that it's a permissions problem in the /var/tmp directory. Can anyone assist? $ uname -a AIX machine 1 5 000D96BF4C00 $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Usage of /var/tmp/ directory on Solaris 10

Hi All, I have some threaded applications. Design of the application is such that one thread will decode some data and put it in data structure, And main thread will wait for another child threads pick up the decoded data. The data will be large decoded files. Once decoded data is picked by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilmuragesh
1 Replies

5. Solaris

permission of /var/tmp

what's the impact if I change /var/tmp's permission into 750? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
7 Replies

6. Linux

/var/tmp/slapd.log.swp delete?

Hi All, Can I delete the above file? It's big, about 1G. It's on a redhat ent 4 with ldap on it. Is that safe to delete? It wasn't been used for already a month and it's in the backup storage. Thanks for any comment you may add. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

7. Solaris

urgent: single-user-mode, /var/tmp read-only

this is the situation: Power outage. Root mirror (svm). it goes to single-user-mode, asking for fsck. Fsck suceeds for one disk, but fail for the other. I can't use vi-editor, it says /var/tmp/Xz12a is a read-only file system. I need to break the mirror, there's no copy of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sun Fire
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

[Errno 22] invalid mode ('w') or filename: '//var/lib/yum/rpmdb-indexes/conflicts.tmp'

Can anyone help me with this error? sudo yum install perl-Gtk2-WebKit Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, versionlock Setting up Install Process Resolving Dependencies --> Running transaction check ---> Package perl-Gtk2-WebKit.i686 0:0.09-1.fc15 will be installed -->... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with deleting punctuation and apostrophes

Dear All, I have a file which I want to get the list of frequency of each word, ignoring list of stop words and now I have problems which punctuations and " 's ". what I am doing is: sed 's///g' file01.txt > file01-clear.txt cat file01-clear.txt | tr "" ""| tr ' ' '\012' |sort |uniq -c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh , how to set var value into new var, in short string concatenation

i try to find way to make string concatenation in csh ( sorry this is what i have ) so i found out i can't do : set string_buff = "" foreach line("`cat $source_dir/$f`") $string_buff = string_buff $line end how can i do string concatenation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2: Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3: Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4: Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.10 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)