Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Basic Linux command line question Post 302993066 by drysdalk on Monday 6th of March 2017 12:19:17 PM
Old 03-06-2017
Hi,

OK, there are various things going here that perhaps need explaining. About the simplest way I can think of tackling your questions is to start with explaining what each of these commands actually does, which might help you understand what you're seeing a bit better.

pwd
This command will print out what's called your current working directory. Your working directory is the directory in the filesystem that you're in at the moment. You change directories with the..

cd
command. cd changes directories, and nothing else. So it's the command you use to change your working directory, and navigate around the filesystem.

su
The switch user command. Nearly always used as a regular user to switch to assume the permissions of the root user. root is the super-user account - that is, the account on a UNIX system that (usually) has full access to all directories and parts of the system, and has permission to run all commands.

Next, I think it would be helpful for you to realise there's a clear distinction between users and directories. Broadly speaking, every user on a UNIX system has one directory on the system reserved for their own use, called their home directory. Typing cd on its own will take you back to this home directory in almost all circumstances. But this home directory needn't have the same name as the user, and can be anything at all. Likewise, any directory on the system can take any name. Every directory on the filesystem will be owned by one particular user and one particular group.

Now, when you use su, the default behaviour will be to leave you in whatever directory you happen to be in at the time, rather than to switch you to the home directory of the user you're wanting to become. If you want it to do that (and more besides), try using the syntax su - instead. This will execute the full login environment of the user you're switching to, and so you will find your current working directory will change to their home directory.

Anyway, hope all this helps you to understand a bit more clearly what's going on here.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

shutdown question from command line

solaris 10 logged in as root to command line...want to shut the system down....could not do this....when i chose shutdown the system seemed to squawk at me saying i'd lose whatever i was working on would be lost unless i logged out...after proceeding through this it took me to the gui log in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drisnya
6 Replies

2. Linux

Basic Linux Shell Command

I'm working with telnet under windows and Xming. I connect to a network computer and I open Xterm. With Xterm I want to be able to open more than one windows like firefox, nedit etc. Example : When a open firefox on the xterm, I type "firefox", after that, I cannot make an other command until I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meccos
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic awk question...getting awk to act on $1 of the command itself

I have a script problem that I am not able to solve due my very limited understanding of unix/awk. This is the contents of test.sh awk '{print $1}' From the prompt if I enter: ./test.sh Hello World I would expect to see "Hello" but all I get is a blank line. Only then if I enter "Hello... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command line question

I'm new to Unix and I'm looking for some assistance. We have 20 different accounts we must login to every day. Logging in has become quite the chore and most nights, we have to log out. I'm looking for a way to simply copy and paste the commands into each window to make things easier. I have been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Judo_Bear
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic IF Command Question

Hi, I have a months worth of data that I need to separate into weekly files. There is a date column with dates in the following format: YYYYMMDD. I'm thinking I can create the weekly files by using a grep command combined with an IF command and specify each day of the specific week I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cwl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic line reading and file merge question

No doubt these questions have been answered many times, but I struggled to find them - sorry. 2 questions: 1. I wish to read in a file one line at a time and do 'stuff' with it, such as: file="tst2" while IFS= read -r line do echo `wget -qO -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golpette
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash command line

OS : RHEL / Oracle Linux 6.8 In bash shell, how can I replace a character under the cursor with another character ? In the below example , after I typed the following line, I realized that I meant 7013 and not 2013. So I move the cursor to the left and keep it on top of 2 (of 2013) and I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A question about Subversion and commit from the command line

Hey guys, so I want to start using the terminal when I do thinks like update, commit and whatnot. I am use to using kdesvn which is a GUI that helps me with subversion. However, kdesvn does not seem to play well on 18.04 and regardless I am trying to move away from GUI's in general. I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Circuits
1 Replies
userdel(1M)															       userdel(1M)

NAME
userdel - delete a user login from the system SYNOPSIS
alternate_password_file] login DESCRIPTION
The command deletes a user login from the system by modifying the appropriate login related files. The command requires the login argument. login is the name to be deleted, specified as a string of printable characters. It may not con- tain a colon or a newline Refer to usergroupname(5) to understand the functionality changes with the Numeric User Group Name feature. Options recognizes the following options: The home directory of login is removed from the system. This directory must exist. Following the successful execution of this command, none of the files and directories under the home directory will be available. If a user is deleted and the home directory is shared by others, then this directory is not deleted even with the option. Force the changes, even if the login is currently in use. Specify that the changes are being made to the alternate password file of NIS specified by the option. The and options should not be used with this option. Specify the path of the alternate password file of NIS. The option is used with the option. In the event where a directory is shared by users of the same group and the owner of that directory is deleted, then the ownership of that directory is propagated to the next user who is sharing that directory. The new owner is determined by looking at the order in which the users sharing this directory are added to the file. If there is only one user remaining then the directory is brought back to unshared mode by resetting the permissions to from NIS This command is aware of NIS user and group entries. Only local users and groups may be deleted or modified with this command. Attempts to delete or modify NIS users or groups will result in an error. NIS users and groups must be administered from the NIS server. The com- mand may fail with the error (return value 6) if the user specified is an NIS user (see passwd(4)). The error (return value 10) is returned if a local user belongs to an NIS group (see group(4)). NFS Errors may occur with the option if the affected directory is within an NFS mounted file system that does not allow root privileges across the NFS mount, and the directory or files within the directory do not have sufficient permissions. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion. Invalid command syntax. Invalid argument supplied to an option. The login to be removed does not exist. The login to be removed is in use. Cannot modify the file, but the login was removed from the file. Unable to remove or modify the home directory. Unable to open file or file is non-existent. file or file busy. Another command may be modifying the file. Cannot delete entry from file. Out of memory. Invalid template file. EXAMPLES
Remove the user from the system: Remove the user from the system and delete home directory from the system: WARNINGS
Because many users may try to write the file simultaneously, a password locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. FILES
Shadow Password file System Password file System group file Lock file used when updating password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), users(1), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), group(4), passwd(4), shadow(4), user- groupname(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
userdel(1M)