Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Create file based on data from two other files Post 302992968 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 4th of March 2017 07:04:10 AM
Old 03-04-2017
Given the fact that fields in the last column of csv1 occur more than ones, I think it makes more sense that the join should be the other way around (the other way around it takes the last occurrence in column 5)

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR {A[$1]=$2; next} {print $2, A[$5]}' OFS="\t" csv2 csv1

output:
Code:
00:02:DE:55:DB:74	qpska-6
00:02:DE:62:2C:A2	qpska-1
00:02:DE:66:D0:18	qpska-2
00:02:DE:6A:A0:80	qpska-2
00:02:DE:66:DE:26	qpska-3
00:02:DE:62:33:46	qpska-4
00:02:DE:66:FA:9C	qpska-5
00:02:DE:6B:DB:E0	qpska-5
00:02:DE:63:88:AC	qpska-6
00:02:DE:6B:DD:9A	qpska-7
00:02:DE:62:23:56	qpska-8
00:02:DE:67:85:A8	qpska-9
00:02:DE:62:40:C0	qpska-10

Eventhough, I cannot figure out why:
Code:
00:02:DE:55:DB:74	qpska-6

is not present in the output sample in post #1
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two csv files by two colums and create third file combining data from them.

I've got two large csv text table files with different number of columns each. I have to compare them based on first two columns and create resulting file that would in case of matched first two columns include all values from first one and all values (except first two colums) from second one. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agb2008
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

create diffrent files based on other file and parameters list

I would like ot create shell script/ bash to create diffrent files based on a file and parameters list. Here is the detail example: I have a textfile and four static parameter files (having ‘?'). mainfile.txt has below records (this count may be more than 50) A200001 A200101 B200001... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav525
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create a file based on multiple files

Hey everyone. I am trying to figure out a way to create a file that will be renamed based off of one of multiple files. For example, if I have 3 files (cat.ctl, dog.ctl, and bird.ctl) that gets placed on to an ftp site I want to create a single file called new.cat.ctl, new.dog.ctl, etc for each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coach5779
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing a script to create a new text file with specific data from existing two files

Hi, I have two text files. Need to create a third text file extracting specific data from first two existing files.. Text File 1: Format contains: SQL*Loader: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed Aug 4 21:06:34 2010 some text ............so on...and somwhere text like: Record 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi143ibm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create files based on second column of a file

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: 234422 1 .00222 323232 1 3232 32323 1 0.00222 1234 2 1211 2332 2 0.9 233 3 0.883 123 3 45 As you can see, the second column of the file is already sorted which I did using sort command. Now, I want to create files based on the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Select Columns from two CSV files in UNIX and create a third file based on comparision

Hi , I want to compare first 3 columns of File A and File B and create a new file File C which will have all rows from File B and will include rows that are present in File A and not in File B based on First 3 column comparison. Thanks in advance for your help. File A A,B,C,45,46... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ady_koolz
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple files from single file based on row separator

Hello , Can anyone please help me to solve the below - Input.txt source table abc col1 char col2 number source table bcd col1 date col2 char output should be 2 files based on the row separator "source table" abc.txt col1 char (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

From 2 files create 3rd file with uncommon data

Hi All, I have two files. File1 and File2. Want to create another file with all the records of File1 those are not present in File2. Please guide. Thanks in advanced. Anupam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get information from one files, based on data from other file

Hello. I am trying to get some info from log file. I have fileA , which contains all the country prefixes (the file contains one column and "n" rows ). And i have fileB, which contains huge data of phone numbers (the file contains one column and "n" rows). What i want to do is, to count... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonfly85
7 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)