Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Directory listing in the order of size Post 302992843 by rbatte1 on Thursday 2nd of March 2017 10:30:19 AM
Old 03-02-2017
Firstly, I would add the -b flag to ignore leading blanks, just in case. You also need to beware that LDAP supported group names can contain spaces, so that throws things out of what as to what is the fifth field.

As you your problem, I would try splitting up your command more like this:-
Code:
cmd='ls -l *.TXT'
my_sort='sort -bnk5'
set -x
$cmd | $sort

Does this help?
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list file's by size order in sepecfied directory and sub directories

How do I list files of type "*.file" for example by size order recursively ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferretman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files in numerical order

Hi, I'm trying to write a ksh script to copy a specified number of files from one directory to another. The files are named in the convention <switchname>_log.<num> and the numbers are sequential single digit onwards. I figured I could find some parameter for ls which would list the files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_H
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

order by size

Hi all, I want to do a command that list all files from a directory e subdirectories order by size (MAX to MIN) Can you help me? Tkz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sliver
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing files in a directory in bases of size

Hi , I want to list all files in the order of size . Just want to know which files occupies more size and which occupies less size . Is it possible with ls command ? :) Thanks, Arun. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing of all the files in the order of last update (including those in the subdiret

I want to list all the files in the current directory including those in the subdirectories as well as a single lot in the order of last updated. (Not as separate list given by ls -lRt). Any suggestion? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Just listing size, timestamp & name of files in a directory

How can I list the files in a directory and just show the file size, date stamp, timestamp and file name.. I've been trying to ls -lrt the directory to a file and then use the cut command but I'm not having any luck with getting the proper results.. I thought i could use the -f switch and count... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Listing all child pid and deleting it in reverse order

Hi , My problem is that I am not able to list all process id of any process. If you see pstree command it shows many process id under https. But if I run ps command its not listing all the process id for httpd. It is just listing the PPID and immediate child process id only. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File listing in Ascending order

I have a multiple file with the following name like. file_0.csv file_1.csv file_2.csv file_3.csv file_4.csv file_5.csv file_6.csv file_7.csv file_7.csv file_8.csv file_9.csv file_10.csv file_11.csv file_12.csv file_13.csv file_14.csv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_arxmind
2 Replies
SORT(1) 							   User Commands							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort lines of text files SYNOPSIS
sort [OPTION]... [FILE]... sort [OPTION]... --files0-from=F DESCRIPTION
Write sorted concatenation of all FILE(s) to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. Ordering options: -b, --ignore-leading-blanks ignore leading blanks -d, --dictionary-order consider only blanks and alphanumeric characters -f, --ignore-case fold lower case to upper case characters -g, --general-numeric-sort compare according to general numerical value -i, --ignore-nonprinting consider only printable characters -M, --month-sort compare (unknown) < `JAN' < ... < `DEC' -h, --human-numeric-sort compare human readable numbers (e.g., 2K 1G) -n, --numeric-sort compare according to string numerical value -R, --random-sort sort by random hash of keys --random-source=FILE get random bytes from FILE -r, --reverse reverse the result of comparisons --sort=WORD sort according to WORD: general-numeric -g, human-numeric -h, month -M, numeric -n, random -R, version -V -V, --version-sort natural sort of (version) numbers within text Other options: --batch-size=NMERGE merge at most NMERGE inputs at once; for more use temp files -c, --check, --check=diagnose-first check for sorted input; do not sort -C, --check=quiet, --check=silent like -c, but do not report first bad line --compress-program=PROG compress temporaries with PROG; decompress them with PROG -d --files0-from=F read input from the files specified by NUL-terminated names in file F; If F is - then read names from standard input -k, --key=POS1[,POS2] start a key at POS1 (origin 1), end it at POS2 (default end of line) -m, --merge merge already sorted files; do not sort -o, --output=FILE write result to FILE instead of standard output -s, --stable stabilize sort by disabling last-resort comparison -S, --buffer-size=SIZE use SIZE for main memory buffer -t, --field-separator=SEP use SEP instead of non-blank to blank transition -T, --temporary-directory=DIR use DIR for temporaries, not $TMPDIR or /tmp; multiple options specify multiple directories -u, --unique with -c, check for strict ordering; without -c, output only the first of an equal run -z, --zero-terminated end lines with 0 byte, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit POS is F[.C][OPTS], where F is the field number and C the character position in the field; both are origin 1. If neither -t nor -b is in effect, characters in a field are counted from the beginning of the preceding whitespace. OPTS is one or more single-letter ordering options, which override global ordering options for that key. If no key is given, use the entire line as the key. SIZE may be followed by the following multiplicative suffixes: % 1% of memory, b 1, K 1024 (default), and so on for M, G, T, P, E, Z, Y. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. *** WARNING *** The locale specified by the environment affects sort order. Set LC_ALL=C to get the traditional sort order that uses native byte values. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Haertel and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report sort bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report sort translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for sort is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sort programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'sort invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 SORT(1)