Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers List files of arbitrary depth according to a given pattern Post 302992775 by jakezkerrien on Wednesday 1st of March 2017 12:13:51 PM
Old 03-01-2017
List files of arbitrary depth according to a given pattern

I would like to list all the .c and .h files in the current directory or any of its subdirectories.
I tried ls -R *.c *.h or ls -R | *.c *.h but that doesn't work.

A related question : how to copy all the .c and .h files in the current directory or any of its subdirectories into another directory.

Last edited by RudiC; 03-01-2017 at 02:13 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a pattern in list of files

Hi All, using the below grep command,I get the following output: $grep -irl "bc" /home/applmgr/amit > file_list.log $cat file_list.log /home/applmgr/amit/xyz.log /home/applmgr/amit/abc.log Requirement ========= Need sed utility to replace "bc" with "xy" pattern in the list of files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to list files with certain pattern

Hi I have files in the following naming convention, for example, /t1/bin/asrv270 /t1/bin/asrv270.sav /t1/bin/asrv2392.px2392.has_been_deleted.sav /t1/bin/asrv2713.sav.sav etc... The number after "asrv" is different. I need to list only the files which end up with the number, for example, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to zip the all files till nth depth

All, i need a script which can zip the all files which are in directories and its subdirectories for example: dir1 contains file1,file2,dir1a,dir1b now dir1a also contains fil11,fil12 ,dirab so script should look for files in dir or sub dir till files not found and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to list non matching files using pattern

Hi, I am trying to write a script that list down all the files that do not match the pattern My pattern will be like this "*.jpg|*.xml|*.sql". This pattern will be stored in a file. The script need to read this pattern from the file and delete the files that does not match this pattern. It... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meenavin
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

list files with a specific pattern

How can I list files with the following specific criteria? I am trying this $> ls *.log or $>ls *.log? --> but it only gives me fsaffa.log1, rwerw.log2. How can I get all three files with a simple selection criteria ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working on files with names containing arbitrary indices in shell

Hi, I want to run a command in bash on files with names as file0001.txt, file0002.txt, file0003.txt and so on. The indices I have to work on are arbitrary like from file0009.txt to file0161.txt. So basically I want a string that can be updated from 0009 to 0010 to 0011 and so on. How can I do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidD312
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List only files based on a pattern

Hi Gurus, I need to list only the files with out certain extension. For eg from the following list of files: I need to only list: Thanks Shash (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files to match file list pattern

Hi All, I have 100 folders with the first delimiter has a unique name i.e (123_hello and 575_hello) and each folder have atlist 1000 plus files with naming convention i.e (575_hello_1.iso ... 575_hello_1000.iso). 575_hello/575_hello_1.iso 575_hello/575_hello_2.iso 575_hello/575_hello_3.iso... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
8 Replies
ha(1)								    HA archiver 							     ha(1)

NAME
ha - a small file archiver utility SYNOPSIS
ha <command>[<option><option>...] archive [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
After the program name comes a command name (single letter) and options (single letters, appended to the command name without a space). COMMANDS
a[sdqemr012] Add files matching search pattern to archive. e[aqty] Extract files matching search pattern from archive. x[aqty] Extract files matching search pattern from archive using path information stored in archive. l[f] List files currently in archive. d[q] Delete files matching search pattern from archive. If archive does not contain any files after deletion it is removed. f[sdqemr012] Freshen files in archive. All files matching search pattern and newer than version already in archive are updated to archive. u[sdqemr012] Update files to archive. All files matching search pattern that are newer than version already in archive or are not yet in archive are updated to archive. t[q] Test files in archive. OPTIONS
0,1,2 Try compression method #. More than one can be specified. Methods are: 0-CPY Simple copying of files. 1-ASC Default method using sliding window dictionary followed by arithmetic coder. Offers quite good compression on wide variety of file types. 2-HSC Compression method based on finite context model and arithmetic coder. Quite slow for binary data, but offers very good compression especially for longer text files. y Assume answer yes on all questions. t Touch files when extracting. Sets file times to current machine time. r Recurse through subdirectories while searching for files matching search pattern. f Full listing of stored file information. m Move files when archiving. Files are removed from disk after they are successfully written to archive. a Set system specific file attributes when extracting files. s Find special files when archiving. e Do not store pathname information. q Quiet operation. d Make separate entries for directories. Saves information about empty directories, directory attributes etc. in archive. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag@dottedmag.net> for Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). ha 0.999p 3 Jul 2008 ha(1)