Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unable to ping default gateway Post 302992732 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 1st of March 2017 06:04:53 AM
Old 03-01-2017
Could be many things. The configuration from the Unix side looks fine, but have your considered:-
  • A physical link issue
    • not connected to right switch
    • faulty or disabled port on the NIC
    • faulty or disabled port on the switch
    • faulty cable
  • Configuration on the switch making the port part of a different VLAN
  • Routing error on the switch
  • Something else?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Unable to ping the gateway IP itself

We are unable to bring one of our linux boxes into the network once it was restarted. But once we stop and start the network service. We are able to ping the gateway and get into network. After a minute or two we get the following reponse for the ping command 64 bytes from 124.168.215.40:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

Multihomed can not ping gateway

Hello this is my first post at this forum. Apologize for my lack of network understanding but Im posting to learn. I have a problem reaching default gateway 10.18.110.1 If I use my laptop I can ping 10.18.110.1 but with our red hat multihomed server the gateway does not respond to ping. cat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vettec3
11 Replies

3. Solaris

ping -s to default gateway very slow

I was install new solaris10 on m4000 model after that i "ping -s" to default gateway but it's take longtime (2 Min) to reply and if i use "ping" only it's reply to fase(2 sec). any body who can tell me about my problem and how to fix it please. i'm try to fix several days. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesmk
2 Replies

4. AIX

Can not Ping Gateway

Hello, I am new to Unix :D and have been trying to configure an AIX server running 5.3. I used smitty or smit to configure interface 0 on the server. I am able to ping the IP I set, however I am still unable to ping the gateway. I configured the IP by navigating to Communications Applications... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdub50
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

Cannot ping gateway

I know the subject line is very similar to: destination host unreachable but the problem with my machine appears to be somewhat different from that thread. apologies if I missed something from there. We recently moved a machine physically and from one subnet to another . I used... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirage
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot ping default gateway

I have NCR MP-RAS unix. I have been trying for several months to get our network working since we had never used it before. I have setup all routes that I can think of. I know it has something to do with the routing table, because out of sheer luck I was able to get it working, and than like a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutgerncas
4 Replies

7. AIX

Cant ping default gateway aix 53 07 new install

I just reinstalled a fresh install of 5300 07 on an old 44p model 170, after installing I set an IP Address on en2 and I tried to the ping default gateway, no response. I tried a startsrc -g tcpip ... and then I can ping the default gateway. I broke the ping and tried again to ping. I cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asyed123
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Can not ping default gateway

Hi, Here is the issue: There are 2 identical systems in the same subnet here. They can ping and ssh each other. One can ping the default gateway and one can not with error '... icmp_seq Destination Host Unreachable'. I can't find any difference between the two systems in terms of network... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies

9. AIX

Networking Issue (Cant Ping the gateway)

Hi, I installed AIX 7.1 on a blade though (hmc with vio). I can ping the IP address, but not the gateway. Is there anything that I should configure? Is there anything that I have to check with vio setting or Am I missing any configuration? Please let me know further. Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies
TRACEROUTE6(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    TRACEROUTE6(8)

NAME
traceroute6 -- print the route IPv6 packets will take to the destination SYNOPSIS
traceroute6 [-dlnrv] [-f firsthop] [-g gateway] [-m hoplimit] [-p port] [-q probes] [-s src] [-w waittime] target [datalen] DESCRIPTION
-d Debug mode. -f firsthop Specify how many hops to skip in trace. -g gateway Specify intermediate gateway (traceroute6 uses routing header). -m hoplimit Specify maximum hoplimit. -l Print both host hostnames and numeric addresses. Normally traceroute6 prints only hostnames if -n is not specified, and only numeric addresses if -n is specified. -n Do not resolve numeric address to hostname. -p port Set UDP port number to port. -q probes Set the number of probe per hop count to probes. -r -s src Src specifies the source IPv6 address to be used. -v Be verbose. -w waittime Specify the delay time between probes. RETURN VALUES
The traceroute6 command will exit with 0 on success, and non-zero on errors. SEE ALSO
ping(8), ping6(8), traceroute(8) HISTORY
The traceroute6 command first appeared in WIDE hydrangea IPv6 protocol stack kit. BSD
May 17, 1998 BSD