Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read contains within { and replace the word Post 302992413 by drysdalk on Friday 24th of February 2017 02:03:24 PM
Old 02-24-2017
Hello,

Thank you for providing more information. I think though there's still a bit more that needs explained before it can be determined what the best approcah here is.

So: you say which entries need to change and what they must be changed to depends on the hostname. Now, if that's literally true - as in, what happens to every single host depends entirely on human decision, and there's no actual pattern or thing in common that determines what's to happen to each one - then this isn't really scriptable. You'd spend longer writing a script to update the file than you would updating it by hand, since there's no rhyme or reason to the changes themselves, and they all have to be handled as individual special cases.

If, however, there's some actual set of rules or a pattern that governs what needs to happen to each host, then this can certainly be done somehow. But we'd need a complete and correct description of what those rules are in order to do that.

For example: are all hosts based on the Solaris template to go to a particular group ? Are all hosts with an HTTP check defined to go to a particular group ? Et cetera, et cetera. So long is there is a set of rules you can write down that 100% accurately describe what needs to happen to each host entry, this is probaly do-able somehow, though perhaps less easily than you're imagining.

But if there really isn't a set of clearly-defined and reliable rules you can always 100% count on to define each of the changes, then the changes won't be scriptable unfortunately.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How read and replace Microsoft word in Unix

Hi, I'm newbie in UNIX. I would like to ask how to read a file which in Microsoft word format? Inside the doc file is just a few sentences . "It is a text. Help me with it". and I would like to replace the the word of text to message. I was trying with this for i in `find . -type f -name... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tee
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read data word by word from given file & storing in variables

File having data in following format : file name : file.txt -------------------- 111111;name1 222222;name2 333333;name3 I want to read this file so that I can split these into two paramaters i.e. 111111 & name1 into two different variables(say value1 & value2). i.e val1=11111 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjoshi98
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word after a particular word in a file

Hi, I want to replace a word in a file which occurs after a particular word. For example : $cat file.txt CASE WHEN AND c1 = 'I' AND c2= '2' THEN 1 WHEN AND c1= 'I' AND c2= '0' THEN 2 So in this example i want to replace... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a word with another word

Hello Friends, How to substitue with a word by another word in file written in VI Editor. Thanks & Regards Siva Ranganath 7760774961 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranganath
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word in a string starting with another word

Hi All, I have a file in which a number of lines are starting with similar first word but different next words. I want to replace the any nth word(not 1st or 2nd) with another word. Eg:- My file contains are like this:- Ram is a boy. Ram is a good boy. Ram plays cricket. Here I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshbaranwal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read argument with $ value in the word

Hi i am having a shell script reading two arguments. when the shell script is passed with argument containing $ in it, the value from $ onwards is getting truncated and my script is failing. i have to do in reading the arguments in the shell script only as i am not having control on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a word in all the files (that contain the word) under a directory

Hi Everyone, I am looking for a simple way for replacing all the files under a directory that use the server "xsgd1234dap" with "xsdr3423pap". For Example: In the Directory, $pwd /home/nick $ grep -l "xsgd1234dap" *.sh | wc -l 119 I have "119" files that are still using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i replace a word ending with "key" using awk excpet for one word?

echo {mbr_key,grp_key,dep_key,abc,xyz,aaa,ccc} | awk 'gsub(/^|abc,|$/,"") {print}' Required output {grp_key,xyz,aaa,ccc} (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
5 Replies
ftphosts(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       ftphosts(4)

NAME
ftphosts - ftpd individual user host access file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The file is used to allow or deny access to certain accounts from various hosts. Access Capabilities The formats to allow and deny access are described in this section. addrglob [ addrglob... ] Only allow host(s) matching addrglob to log in as username. addrglob is a globbed domain name or a globbed numeric address. addrglob [ addrglob ... ] Always deny host(s) matching addrglob to log in as username. addrglob is a globbed domain name or a globbed numeric address. A username of or specifies the anonymous user. The addrglob can also be specified as address/cidr or address:netmask. For example: or Specifying Both allow and deny Rules To allow a user to login from anywhere except the listed hosts, both allow and deny rules are required. The following example denies the user from logging in from the host but allows login from all other hosts: EXAMPLES
Allow the user, to login from the host named and from all hosts with numeric addresses starting with Deny (do not allow) the user, to login from the host named and from all hosts with numeric addresses starting with Allow the user, to login from the host named FILES
AUTHOR
was developed by the Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri. SEE ALSO
ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftpconversions(4), ftpshut(1). ftphosts(4)