Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Naive coding...
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Naive coding... Post 302992184 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 22nd of February 2017 11:12:57 AM
Old 02-22-2017
Two corrections:
Code:
case "$STR" in 
"") echo "Blank" ;;
*[!0-9]*)  echo "Contains non-numeric" ;;
*) echo "Valid" ;;
esac

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can I use this coding

I apologise because I had pasted this question in the newbies forum first (because i am a bit of a newbie) but thought it might be better suited in here if i have to sepearate parameters can I use this syntax especially the or part (||) and is this correct if (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: w33man
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding on my Mac

I would like to start coding on my mac, but I'm getting an error when I attempt to execute my script -bash : testscript: command not found I have verified that the #! line points to the correct directory. If you have some insight it would be greatly appreciated! - D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pro*c coding

Hi All, I am new to pro*C. I have a select statement as select a.ename,a.sal,a.empno from emp where &n=(select count(distinct(b.sal)) from emp b where a.sal<=b.sal for this query I have to write a pro*C program. So can you please send me the complete code. Then I will foloow the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user71408
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Naive Bayes

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to write a program in Unix to do the following.Given a phrase like george hates john, by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gizmo87
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTTP coding

My company has an in house instant messaging system (like WhatsApp) where users can communicate with each other. I currently have code to email me certain items from my Sparc machine running SunOS 5.10. I want what I am emailing myself to now instant message me. The team that created the messenger... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)