Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml" Post 302991883 by Hiroshi on Friday 17th of February 2017 12:10:56 PM
Old 02-17-2017
Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents,

I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out:

Code:
for filename in $(find /var/log/test -type f -mtime +10)
do
        read -r firstLine < $filename
        echo "$firstLine"
either        echo "${firstLine:0:3}"     # "${firstLine:0:3}": bad substitution
or             echo "${cut -c1-8}"         # "${cut -c1-8}": bad substitution

if [ "${firstLine:0:3}" = "MSH" ] || [ "${firstLine:0:3}" = "FHS" ] || [ "${firstLine:0:5}" = "<?xml" ]
        then
                echo $filename >> /var/log/test/my2.log     # Just a log file to keep track of which files got deleted
##              rm $filename
        fi
done

Please assist.
Many thanks in advance, you guys/gals are awesome!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 02-17-2017 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for delete tmp files older than 15 days and owned by "xxx" id

Hi All , I want to delete files from /tmp directory created by "xxxx" id. because i got the list says more than 60 thousand files were created by "xxxx" id since 2002. The /tmp directory has lot of files created by different user ids like root,system etc.. But, i need a script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vparunkumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find "*.c" and "Makefile" and then delete them with one line

find "*.c" and "Makefile" and then delete them with one line (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
Log(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    Log(4)

NAME
Log, .Log - Contains the uucp program log files SYNOPSIS
/usr/spool/uucp/.Log DESCRIPTION
The /usr/spool/uucp/.Log directories contain uucp program log files. The uucp program normally places status information about each trans- action in the appropriate log file each time you use the networking utilities facility. All transactions of the uucico and uuxqt daemons are logged in files named for the remote system concerned. The files are stored in a subdirectory of the /usr/spool/uucp/.Log directory named for the daemon involved. Thus, the log files are named with a form of the following: /usr/spool/uucp/.Log/DaemonName/SystemName The uucp and uuto commands call the uucico daemon. The uucico daemon activities for a particular remote system are logged in the System- Name file in the /usr/spool/uucp/.Log/uucico directory on the local system. The uux and uusend commands call the uuxqt daemon. The uuxqt daemon activities for a particular remote system are logged in the SystemName file in the /usr/spool/uucp/.Log/uuxqt directory on the local system. When more than one uucp process is running, however, the system cannot access the standard log file, so it places the status information in a file with a .Log prefix that covers just the single transaction. The uucp program can automatically append the temporary log files to a primary log file. This is called compacting the log files, and is handled by the uudemon.cleanu command, a shell procedure, which combines the log files of the activities of the uucico and uuxqt daemons on a system and stores them in the /usr/spool/uucp/.Old directory. The default is for the uudemon.cleanu command to save log files that are 2 days old. This default can be changed by modifying the appro- priate line in the shell script. If storage space is a problem on a particular system, reduce the number of days that the files are kept in the individual log files. The uulog command can be used to view the uucp program log files. RELATED INFORMATION
Daemons: cron, uucico(8), uusched(8) Commands: uucp(1), uudemon.cleanu(4), uulog(1), uusend(1), uuto(1), uux(1) delim off Log(4)