Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script regarding non numerical or empty value Post 302991721 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 15th of February 2017 04:48:19 PM
Old 02-15-2017
Another approach using awk:

Code:
awk '{printf("lines1=%d lines2=%d\n", $6+0, $7+0); exit }' infile

Originally I was going to use NR==1 to match the first line but RudiC's approach using exit should be much more efficient when the input file has a large number of lines.

Replace %d format specifiers with %f, %.2f, etc if you have non-integer values.
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script using Join, empty field help!

Deleted#### (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tibbyuk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script error with when input is empty

Hi, I created the following shell script to lookup multiple name servers for a domain. #!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter the domain name and press : " read domain result1=`dig +short $domain @4.2.2.1` revresult1=`host $result1 | cut -f5 -d " "` echo "test1" result2=`dig +short... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to sort a string of numerical data in set fields

So, I will be working with someone and basically we are trying to build a form that is submitted most likely via the web and the data is just a string of numbers. like: 19383882872201110929282821818182827349190102837364718191001932873711 Now, each number is part of a numerical value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete empty files

I'm trying to write a shell script to files of zero length in a specified directory, but I keep getting errors. Would anybody be kind enough to look it over for issues? Thanks a bunch in advance. #!/bin/sh if then if then find $1 -type f -size 0 -print|xargs rm exit 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ScriptingIssues
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

$HOSTNAME empty while invoking script using SSH

Hi, I am unable to get $HOSTNAME value in a remote script when executed through SSH. Also the scripts hangs and doesnt return to the calling environment. For instance command - ssh user1@box2 "cd /var/home/bin ; ./generateScript.sh" Can any one plese throw light on the issue and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to remove empty files

Hi All, Can anyone please write a shell script to remove the empty files using an if condition. please help me out , urgent thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthi_murali
6 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)