Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script regarding non numerical or empty value Post 302991650 by ghpradeep on Wednesday 15th of February 2017 05:15:25 AM
Old 02-15-2017
Script regarding non numerical or empty value

Hello Team,

I need bash script to check if my output is non numerical or empty. if its then my output should display default value as 0

basically, I am reading value from txt file. most of numerical value, in case there is no numerical value or its empty, then my output should be 0.

example like below:
Code:
output=`sed '1!d' $SOURCE_FOLDER/$datafile |awk '{print $6}'`
          data="lines1=$output "

output=`sed '1!d' $SOURCE_FOLDER/$datafile |awk '{print $7}'`
          data+="lines2=$output "

echo "file value|$date"

Br,Pradeep

Last edited by ghpradeep; 02-15-2017 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script using Join, empty field help!

Deleted#### (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tibbyuk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script error with when input is empty

Hi, I created the following shell script to lookup multiple name servers for a domain. #!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter the domain name and press : " read domain result1=`dig +short $domain @4.2.2.1` revresult1=`host $result1 | cut -f5 -d " "` echo "test1" result2=`dig +short... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to sort a string of numerical data in set fields

So, I will be working with someone and basically we are trying to build a form that is submitted most likely via the web and the data is just a string of numbers. like: 19383882872201110929282821818182827349190102837364718191001932873711 Now, each number is part of a numerical value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete empty files

I'm trying to write a shell script to files of zero length in a specified directory, but I keep getting errors. Would anybody be kind enough to look it over for issues? Thanks a bunch in advance. #!/bin/sh if then if then find $1 -type f -size 0 -print|xargs rm exit 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ScriptingIssues
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

$HOSTNAME empty while invoking script using SSH

Hi, I am unable to get $HOSTNAME value in a remote script when executed through SSH. Also the scripts hangs and doesnt return to the calling environment. For instance command - ssh user1@box2 "cd /var/home/bin ; ./generateScript.sh" Can any one plese throw light on the issue and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to remove empty files

Hi All, Can anyone please write a shell script to remove the empty files using an if condition. please help me out , urgent thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthi_murali
6 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)