Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Best OS for surveying / CAD applications Post 302991351 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of February 2017 11:56:24 AM
Old 02-09-2017
Surveying calculations don't, the computing power of a C64 can handle a few simple equations, maps and such take a lot more. I wouldn't call this a dark age for scientific applications, they've got more choices of platforms and languages now than they'd ever imagined, and seem to invent more every day.

But I can't honestly disagree about the dumbing down of computing... I had a real wakeup call when I visited one Christmas holiday to find my father and sister busily tabulating totals from hundreds of megs of spreadsheets by hand. Tabulation being the very literal reason computers as we know them were invented.

Since they were doing so on a computer, I could show them how to do so automatically, had they doing so by phone, they'd have been up the creek. In 1981, a computer language was the only thing you got with your computer. By Windows 95, it was an application you had to dig deep to find. Now, people use computers (phones) with no access to their own filesystem and no ability to write their own programs day after day with no idea how much they've been robbed. Application designers are so starved for IO they've resorted to using the audio port for digital signals.

This is getting off-topic however. I agree that you should find the application you want and choose a platform it works on.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-09-2017 at 01:06 PM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X applications

I am an Oracle DBA who has previously worked only on NT machines. I need to install Oracle on an AIX box. This Unix server has only a CRT monitor. The Oracle installation REQUIRES a graphical means of seeing the Unix machine. I've been told that I should telnet from a PC that can display X... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrax
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Usernames across Applications

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if there was a way to make it so that usernames could be used across applications. For instance, I have a server that has a bunch of users. I want these users to have ways of accessing my database as well as a variety of other programs, but I don't want them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonzofish
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search for a file which has a "cad" content in it?

Hi Guys, I need to search for a file which has the "cad" content in it. I forgot the file name. could you people give me the command to figure it out? Thanks Magesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

GUI Applications

Hi Experts, Can anyone suggest me kindly, whether designing some small GUI applications are possible in shell scripting..... Like a small calculator kind of stuff....... I fit is possible guide me with some examples. Thanks, Newbie....... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kritibalu
0 Replies

5. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Running Turbo-cad and circuit wizard programmes.

Hi. i am new to Linux. i have a Turbo-cad and circuit wizard programme on CD that I want to install and run. I keep getting the message I do not have an auto-run programme. Do I need to install specific drivers for this? What programme do I need? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alfred Kruger
1 Replies
holidays(4)							   File Formats 						       holidays(4)

NAME
holidays - prime/nonprime table for the accounting system SYNOPSIS
/etc/acct/holidays DESCRIPTION
The /etc/acct/holidays file describes which hours are considered prime time and which days are holidays. Holidays and weekends are con- sidered non-prime time hours. /etc/acct/holidays is used by the accounting system. All lines beginning with an "*" are comments. The /etc/acct/holidays file consists of two sections. The first non-comment line defines the current year and the start time of prime and non-prime time hours, in the form: current_year prime_start non_prime_start The remaining non-comment lines define the holidays in the form: month/day company_holiday Of these two fields, only the month/day is actually used by the accounting system programs. The /etc/acct/holidays file must be updated each year. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of the /etc/acct/holidays file. The following is an example of the /etc/acct/holidays file: * Prime/Nonprime Table for the accounting system * * Curr Prime Non-Prime * Year Start Start * 1991 0830 1800 * * only the first column (month/day) is significant. * * month/day Company Holiday * 1/1 New Years Day 5/30 Memorial Day 7/4 Indep. Day 9/5 Labor Day 11/24 Thanksgiving Day 11/25 day after Thanksgiving 12/25 Christmas 12/26 day after Christmas SEE ALSO
acct(1M) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1991 holidays(4)