Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Improving code
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Improving code Post 302991069 by Corona688 on Monday 6th of February 2017 11:04:03 AM
Old 02-06-2017
I'll cut to the chase and be a bit more generous -- you are reprocessing your input files over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, when you could have done so just once or twice.

Your code is too big a mess to replace wholesale, especially since we know nothing about your input, but 'filter by conditions' is particularly egregious. You are allowed to put more than one statement in an awk program! You could have done 5 times as much work at once. Here is pseudocode.

Code:
read vpff vpds4a vpds4b vpds4 vpdsss <<EOF
$( awk '
        awk-range1 { count1++ }
        awk-range2 { count2++ }
        awk-range3 { count3++ }
        awk-range4 { count4++ }
        awk-range5 { count5++ }
        END { print count1+0, count2+0, count3+0, count4+0, count5+0; }' tmp4 )
EOF

The idea is to have awk print a line like "5 7 3 9 12" which gets dumped into read and split among its variables.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

improving my script

Hi; I want to access our customer database to retreive all clients that have as language index 2 or 3 and take their client number. My input is a file containing all client numbers. i access the data base using a function call "scpshow". The total number of clients i want to scan is 400 000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improving Unix Skills

Kindly any advice to improve my unix skills as electronic books i can download or valuable sites as this one etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving this validate function

Hi guys, I use this function which was provided to me by someone at this site. It works perfectly for validating a users input option against allowed options.. example: validateInput "1" "1 3 4 5" would return 0 (success) function validateInput { input=$1 allowedInput=$2 for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyscho
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code by using associative arrays

I have the following code, and I am changing it to #!/bin/bash hasArgumentCModInfile=0 hasArgumentSrcsInfile=0 hasArgumentRcvsInfile=0 OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS="|=" # IFS controls splitting. Split on "|" and "=", not whitespace. set -- $* # Set the positional... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic help improving for in loop

I'm obviously very new to this. I'm trying to write a simple for loop that will read the directory names in /Users and then copy a file into the same subdir in each user directory. I have this, and it works but it isn't great. #!/bin/bash HOMEDIRS=/Users/* for dirs in $HOMEDIRS; do if ];... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heath_T
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help improving my script.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and provide input. To start, I am not a linux/unix expert but I muddle through the best I can. I am also in no way shape or form a programmer. Please keep that in mind as you read this script. This script is designed to find all files in a given... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: garlandxj11
8 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file...] cut -c list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like <TAB> (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (use- ful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2: Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.10 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)