Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash -c interactive scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash -c interactive scripts Post 302990513 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of January 2017 11:44:25 AM
Old 01-27-2017
What, exactly, is this pipe carrying? Obviously not the program contents, and obviously not data input either. This means there's literally no point putting it in a pipe chain. Why is it there?
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating interactive scripts

Hi all, I am trying to write a program that will automate interactive scripts that use 'pkgadd'. Easily enough I can use 'pkgask' and a response file for most of what I want to do, but unfortunately there are parts of some pkg installations that are configured to only take input from /dev/tty!!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bookoo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive installation script

Hi, for an exercise I need to write a script that will ask the user about each package in a (local) repository and install it or not according to the user's input. I am fairly new to scripting, so I did not get very far. Here is what I came up with. I really appreciate your help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Softsmid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive scripts for Oracle

Hello friends, I am a ORACLE user, we have some internal database file, lets say "demo.config" and an internal tool to patch this file....lets call that tool as "dbfixer". We have 100's-1000's of such files "demo.config" which need to get patched by the tool. So we need to write a script ...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Newbie456267uni
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

interactive scripts with user input that includes quotes

I'm writing a basic ldapsearch script that prompts the user for their search criteria. The input they're being asked for is the search filter portion of the ldapsearch command. This string must be quoted. When the script executes the command it returns nothing. If I hard code a search filter it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donniemac
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non interactive su in bash script

Hi, I have a python gui which allow users entering the root password, then a bash script is called to run "su" with the root password on the background. I could find a way to run "su" with a password. How to run "su" in a bash script without password prompt? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive Script Required

Dear All, Please help in creating a bash script to fetch records from multiple files the script should ask inputs of file type and column level input(at least 4 col of each file type) I have 4 sort of Files, A,B,C,D. file names are like A_0112.unl, A_01215.unl, A_0001.unl and same with B C... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Ali
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive scripts

i have a script that contains: script.sh #!/bin/bash echo -e "\t\t\t0. Exit" echo -e "\t\t\t1. Help" echo -e "\t\t\t2. Notes" echo -e "\t\t\t3. Classes" echo "${newline}" echo -n -e "\t Please enter option number : " read Type case $Type in 1) clear ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying interactive scripts

so for the purposes of this thread, interactive scripts are shell scripts that prompts for a response from a user and then waits for the user to enter a response before proceeding. now, from my understanding of this, the one common string i can expect to find in all interactive scripts is some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
update-motd(5)							File Formats Manual						    update-motd(5)

NAME
update-motd - dynamic MOTD generation SYNOPSIS
/etc/update-motd.d/* DESCRIPTION
UNIX/Linux system adminstrators often communicate important information to console and remote users by maintaining text in the file /etc/motd, which is displayed by the pam_motd(8) module on interactive shell logins. Traditionally, this file is static text, typically installed by the distribution and only updated on release upgrades, or overwritten by the local administrator with pertinent information. Ubuntu introduced the update-motd framework, by which the motd(5) is dynamically assembled from a collection of scripts at login. Executable scripts in /etc/update-motd.d/* are executed by pam_motd(8) as the root user at each login, and this information is concatenated in /var/run/motd. The order of script execution is determined by the run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit option (basically alphabetical order, with a few caveats). On Ubuntu systems, /etc/motd is typically a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. BEST PRACTICES
MOTD fragments must be scripts in /etc/update-motd.d, must be executable, and must emit information on standard out. Scripts should be named named NN-xxxxxx where NN is a two digit number indicating their position in the MOTD, and xxxxxx is an appropriate name for the script. Scripts must not have filename extensions, per run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit instructions. Packages should add scripts directly into /etc/update-motd.d, rather than symlinks to other scripts, such that administrators can modify or remove these scripts and upgrades will not wipe the local changes. Consider using a simple shell script that simply calls exec on the external utility. Long running operations (such as network calls) or resource intensive scripts should cache output, and only update that output if it is deemed expired. For instance: /etc/update-motd.d/50-news #!/bin/sh out=/var/run/foo script="w3m -dump http://news.google.com/" if [ -f "$out" ]; then # Output exists, print it echo cat "$out" # See if it's expired, and background update lastrun=$(stat -c %Y "$out") || lastrun=0 expiration=$(expr $lastrun + 86400) if [ $(date +%s) -ge $expiration ]; then $script > "$out" & fi else # No cache at all, so update in the background $script > "$out" & fi Scripts should emit a blank line before output, and end with a newline character. For instance: /etc/update-motd/05-lsb-release #!/bin/sh echo lsb-release -a FILES
/etc/motd, /var/run/motd, /etc/update-motd.d SEE ALSO
motd(5), pam_motd(8), run-parts(8) AUTHOR
This manpage and the update-motd framework was written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@canonical.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. update-motd 13 April 2010 update-motd(5)