Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to count matched string then check again from last read position Post 302990162 by rbatte1 on Monday 23rd of January 2017 07:31:47 AM
Old 01-23-2017
An alternate may be to open the file with tail and keep it open.

What is your overall aim for this process? You might be able to:-
Code:
while read line
do
   process "$line"
done < <(tail -f $logfile)

I think that the < <(command) is a bash construct rather than sh or ksh so it depends if you have that or even if this is appropriate. This process will not end, but continue reading the log file when new records are written, so it's near-time (strictly not quite real-time)

Beware that the log file will remain open, so if you rotate your log files, you might need to use tail -F $logfile instead to open the replacement file.

Can you tell us what the point of this code is to be? There may be a simpler way that I'm not thinking of. It would be useful to know the OS version (output from uname -a) and shell that you are using.

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read string from a file,plz help me to check

#!/usr/bin/ksh exec 0<property while read newReceiveDir do if then sed -e 's//home/joshua/bodi/data/receive/{$newReceiveDir:25}/g/' mp_validate.sh >| mp_validate.sh elif then sed -e 's//home/joshua/bodi/data/temp/{$newReceiveDir:22}/g/' mp_validate.sh >| mp_validate.sh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshuaduan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of matched pattern occurance

In a file a pattern is occured many times randomly. Even it may appear more then once in the same line too. How i can get the number of times that pattern appeared in the file? let the file name is abc.txt and the pattern is "xyz". I used the following code: grep -ic "xyz" abc.txt but it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palash2k
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a position and print some string in the next and same position

I need a script for... how to find a position of column data and print some string in the next line and same position position should find based on *HEADER8* in text for ex: ord123 abs 123 987HEADER89 test234 ord124 abc 124 987HEADER88 test235 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveenkcl
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script To read Date and count from files

Smaple 1 Date and Time: 2013-05-11 12:23:12 MST abc,1234,hi-all,45354-88888,IN,US XYZ,1234,hi-all,45354-88888,OUT,GB abc,1234,hi-all,45354-88888,IN,AS abc,1234,hi-all,45354-88888,OUT,US abc,1234,hi-all,45354-88888,IN,US Number of Records: 000005 Sample 2 HDR: 20130511... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhisrajput
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a word at 72nd position of a matched line in a file

Hi, I need to search a file for a pattern,replace some other word and write a word at its 72nd position. For example, My name is Mano.Im learning Unix. I want to search the file in all lines containing the word "Mano".In that matched line,replace the word "Unix" with "Java".And... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mano1 n
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need a Script to read Log string and check date at the same time

I need to check 1 log file, which is logging: 2014-08-18T09:10:39+02:00 user: XXXXX START FEATURE 2014-08-18T09:10:39+02:00 user: XXXXX FINISH FEATURE I first need to check that the START FEATURE starts and finish on the same time/date for the same user, which is different each time START... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBest43
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count exact matched words

hi , i have a file test.dat which contains following data. test.dat XY|abc@xyz.com XY|abc@xyz.com ST|abc@xyz.com ST|abc@xyz.com ST|XYZ@abc.com FK|abc@xyz.com FK|STG@xyz.com FK|abc@xyz.com FK|FKG@xyz.com i want to know the count of XY,ST,FK. i.e XY = 2 , ST = 3 , FK = 4 I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzkashi
4 Replies
TAIL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - output the last part of files SYNOPSIS
tail [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print the last 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=[+]NUM output the last NUM bytes; or use -c +NUM to output starting with byte NUM of each file -f, --follow[={name|descriptor}] output appended data as the file grows; an absent option argument means 'descriptor' -F same as --follow=name --retry -n, --lines=[+]NUM output the last NUM lines, instead of the last 10; or use -n +NUM to output starting with line NUM --max-unchanged-stats=N with --follow=name, reopen a FILE which has not changed size after N (default 5) iterations to see if it has been unlinked or renamed (this is the usual case of rotated log files); with inotify, this option is rarely useful --pid=PID with -f, terminate after process ID, PID dies -q, --quiet, --silent never output headers giving file names --retry keep trying to open a file if it is inaccessible -s, --sleep-interval=N with -f, sleep for approximately N seconds (default 1.0) between iterations; with inotify and --pid=P, check process P at least once every N seconds -v, --verbose always output headers giving file names -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit NUM may have a multiplier suffix: b 512, kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, GB 1000*1000*1000, G 1024*1024*1024, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y. With --follow (-f), tail defaults to following the file descriptor, which means that even if a tail'ed file is renamed, tail will continue to track its end. This default behavior is not desirable when you really want to track the actual name of the file, not the file descrip- tor (e.g., log rotation). Use --follow=name in that case. That causes tail to track the named file in a way that accommodates renaming, removal and creation. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Ian Lance Taylor, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report tail translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
head(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/tail> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) tail invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TAIL(1)