Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Inaccurate scanning of Bash array elements Post 302989879 by cogiz on Thursday 19th of January 2017 10:43:08 AM
Old 01-19-2017
Linux Inaccurate scanning of Bash array elements

Code:
username=cogiz
#!/bin/bash

shuffle() #@ USAGE: shuffle
{ #@ TODO: add options for multiple or partial decks
 Deck=$(
   printf "%s\n" {2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,T,J,Q,K,A}{H,S,D,C} |
    awk '## Seed the random number generator
         BEGIN { srand() }

## Put a random number in front of each line
         { printf "%.0f\t%s\n", rand() * 99999, $0 }
    ' |
     sort -n |  ## Sort the lines numerically
      cut -f2  ## Remove the random numbers
  )
}

_deal() #@ USAGE: _deal [N] -- where N is no. of cards; defaults to 1
{       #@ RESULT: stored in $_DEAL
    local num=${1:-1}
    set -- $Deck
    _DEAL=${@:1:$num}
    shift "$num"
    cards_remaining=$#
    Deck=$*
}

deal() #@ USAGE: deal [N]
{      #@ RESULT: cards printed one to a line
    _deal "$@"
    printf "%s " $_DEAL
}

################################################

shuffle
declare -a PH
deal 8 > /home/cogiz/playerhand.txt           #  (7D 3H 4D 9H KC 2H 7C 9S)
deal 8 > /home/cogiz/computerhand.txt
deal 1 > /home/cogiz/activecard.txt            # (9C)
mapfile -t PH < /home/cogiz/playerhand.txt
X=$(</home/cogiz/activecard.txt)
A=( "${X[@]::1}" )                               # 9
B=( "${X[@]:1}" )                                # C
C=8                                                    # 8

for e in ${PH[@]}; do

if [[ $e =~ $A|$B|8 ]]; then
      printf "$e " >> /home/cogiz/choices.txt
   else
      printf "0 " >> /home/cogiz/choices.txt
   fi
done

The above script is a rewrite of a terminal game of crazy 8's in Bash that I have been working on. The problem I am having is that the output file (choices.txt) is not showing me all of the results that it should. when the above script was run, the output in the choices.txt file was ( 0 0 0 9H 0 0 0 9S ).

It should have been ( 0 0 0 9H KC 0 7C 9S ).

Each time I run this script ( ./crazy.sh ) it gives me a different answer but always an incomplete one.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? I have been racking my brain for days trying to figure this out. Why does it show some valid card choices but not all? What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions and advice.

Cogiz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Percent complete error while scanning RAID array during 5.0.6 load

Percent complete SCO 5.0.6 / No longer an issue (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henrys
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i read array elements dynamically in bash?

Hi friends how can we read array elements dynamically in bash shell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haisubbu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I print array elements as different columns in bash?

Hi Guys, I have an array which has numbers including blanks as follows: 1 26 66 4.77 -0.58 88 99 11 12 333 I want to print a group of three elements as a different column in a file as follows:(including blanks where there is missing elements) for.e.g. array element #7... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing elements from an array

Hi I have two arrays : @arcb= (450,625,720,645); @arca=(625,645); I need to remove the elements of @arca from elements of @arcb so that the content of @arcb will be (450,720). Can anyone sugget me how to perform this operation? The code I have used is this : my @arcb=... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping array elements - possible?

I have a script which takes backup of some configuration files on my server. It does that by using an array which contains the complete path to the files to backup. It copys the files to a pre defined dir. Each "program" has it's own folder, ex. apache.conf is being copied to /predefined... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnn
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reading the array and sum of the array elements

Hi All, need help with reading the array and sum of the array elements. given an array of integers of size N . You need to print the sum of the elements in the array, keeping in mind that some of those integers may be quite large. Input Format The first line of the input consists of an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishantrefound
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Scanning array for partial elements in Bash Script

Example of problem: computerhand=(6H 2C JC QS 9D 3H 8H 4D) topcard=6D How do you search ${computerhand} for all elements containing either a "6" or a "D" then save the output to a file? This is a part of a Terminal game of Crazy 8's that I'm attempting to write in Bash. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Random choice of elements in bash array

example of problem: #!/bin/bash P=(2 4 7) How would you randomly choose one of these 3 numbers in this array? either 2 or 4 or 7 is needed...but only one of them. Thanks in advance Cogiz Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array to array scanning

trying a little bit of array scanning for open ports. my code looks like below: /bin/netstat -lntp|\ awk 'BEGIN { split("25 80 2020 6033 6010",q); } $1 == "tcp" { split($4,a,":"); p]++; } $1 == "tcp6" { split($4,a,":");p]++ } END { for ( i in q ) { if (! q in p ) {... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get unique elements from Array

I have an array code and output is below: echo $1 while read -r fline; do echo "%%%%%%$fline%%%%%" fmy_array+=("$fline") done <<< "$1" Output: CR30903 YU0007 SRIL CR30903 Yogesh SRIL %%%%%%CR30903 YU0007 SRIL%%%%% %%%%%%CR30903 Yogesh SRIL%%%%% ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
RDUP-UP(1)							       rdup								RDUP-UP(1)

NAME
rdup-up - update a directory tree with a rdup archive SYNOPSIS
rdup-up [OPTION]... DIRECTORY DESCRIPTION
With rdup-up you can update an (possibly) existing directory structure with a rdup archive. The rdup archive has to be given to rdup-up's standard input. Username and uids rdup outputs both the username and uid, the receiving system (which may be a totally different system) checks if the username and uid match. If the username and uid don't match the (numeric) uid is used on the file. The same holds true for the groupname and gid. OPTIONS
-n Do a dry-run and do not create anything on disk. -t Create DIRECTORY (ala mkdir -p) if it does not exist. -s N Strip N path components from a pathname. If the resulting pathname is empty after this operation it is skipped. Be careful however with the following structure: /foo /foo/bar /foo/bar/bla.txt /foo/blork/bla.txt With rdup-up -s2 this will leave: <empty> <empty> /bla.txt /bla.txt And the last 'bla.txt' will overwrite the previous one, this will happen without warnings. -r PATH This option is related to the -s option, but works different. The string PATH is removed from (the beginning of) each pathname. With -r /home/backup the pathname /home/backup/bin/mycmd becomes /bin/mycmd. The same could be done with -s 2, but then you need to count the slashes. Note -s is always performed before -r. -v Be more verbose and echo the processed files to standard output. -vv Be even more verbose and echo processed file and the uid and gid information to standard output. -T Show a table of contents of the rdup stream received (ala tar -tf -). With -T the directory argument is optional. -T unsets any verbose (-v) options. -h A short help message. -V Show the version. EXIT CODE
rdup-up return a zero exit code on success, otherwise 1 is returned. AUTHOR
Written by Miek Gieben. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <miek@miek.nl>. SEE ALSO
http:/www.miek.nl/projects/rdup/ is the main site of rdup. Also see rdup(1), rdup-tr(1) and rdup-backups(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 Miek Gieben. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Licensed under the GPL version 3. See the file LICENSE in the source distribution of rdup. 1.1.11 13 Dec 2008 RDUP-UP(1)