Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with refining script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with refining script Post 302988749 by Simplify on Monday 2nd of January 2017 08:16:29 AM
Old 01-02-2017
I agree with both of you regarding your comments and i will post a more detailed response shortly.

---------- Post updated at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:34 PM ----------

Now i have to post another response to allow me to send URL's in my detailed response :-)

---------- Post updated at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:35 PM ----------

ok more detailed coming next this forum software must have a bug as i have edited the offending URL add in my detailed post and it still will not let me post. Lets try again.

---------- Post updated at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:38 PM ----------

Ok here is what i have gone with now;

Code:
#!/bin/bash
clear
srvice=("plexmediaserver" "plexconnect" "plexpy" "nzbdrone" "couchpotato" "headphones" "utserver" "qbittorrent-nox" "HTPC-Manager" "sabnzbdplus" "webmin");

for i in "${srvice[@]}";  do
   systemctl is-active $i > /dev/null 2>&1
   state=$(systemctl is-active $i >/dev/null && echo Alive || echo Dead)
   #state="${state/failed/inactive}"
   printf "%-18s : %-20s\n" "${i^}" "${state^}"
done

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp
That for the state assignment...
Code:
state=$(systemctl is-active $i >/dev/null && echo Alive || echo Dead)

What's regarding the output, printf kann handle format strings as described in the manpage: man 3 printf.

Example

Code:
printf "%-20s : %-20s\n" "$service_name" "$service_state"

Description

Output String variable $service_name with minimum length 20 chars - aligned left - then space then : then space then variable $service_state with minimum length 20 chars - aligned left and then new line.
---------- Post updated at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:40 PM ----------

Interestingly I have found that much of the script isn't needed with conky, however, it has been a valuable learning experience.

---------- Post updated at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:15 PM ----------

Hi bakunin, thank you for your comments and suggestions. I agree with your comments. I tend to notarize my scripts so that years later I do understand what I was doing at the time when I put the script together and also as technology evolves I can update it and make it better or more streamlined or reduce the number of processes as Stomp demonstrated.

Being reasonably new to the NIX platform and coding within it and I don't often need to do a lot of coding, I thought I would attempt to put good scripts together from the outset. I also have to mentioned of all the scripting languages I have used over the years BASH is fantastic and fast becoming my favorite - I do also like JavaScript.

Thanks for the comments and examples using sed - i didn't know you could do that - very valuable and i will be using that in future also.

Regarding printf - whilst putting this script together, i have been doing a lot of reading and looking at different examples around the internet and have found this command to be very powerful and prefer to keep scripts as super simple as possible and certainly where possible would prefer to use printf for formatting rather than adding another process of command into the logic. I was having trouble getting the syntax correct using printf (obviously my lack of knowledge and understanding) hence the reason I first attempted with sed.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Refining if loops using sed/awk

hi All, I have the following two requirements: case 1: In a file i have the below code: if ((a>b)) a=b; else a = c; by using some means i need to convert the line to the following output: Output required: case 2: In a file i have the below code: if (a>b) a=b; else a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineer
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SOLVED: Refining an awk command

I have a file (file1) with in the below format ST*820*212121 BPR*C*213212.20*C*212*CCD*01***01*071000013*DA*321321*101208 TRN*1*21321321*13213 N1*PR*3232. dff. SYS.*91*3232 ENT*1 N1*PE* 2132121321 RMR*TN*234456677888**192387.20*192387.20 REF*IV*234456677888*213213 3213 UNI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies