Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GMT to local Time conversion
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting GMT to local Time conversion Post 302988686 by Don Cragun on Friday 30th of December 2016 11:14:15 PM
Old 12-31-2016
What operating system are you using?

What output do you get from the command: date -"?"?

What shell are you using?

If you are not using a 1993 or later version of the Korn shell, does your system have one that you can use? (What output do you get from the command: ksh93 --version || ksh --version?)

On the system I'm using, with ksh --version returning 93u+, the command:
Code:
printf '%(%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S %Z\n)T' "2016-12-30 23:50:33 GMT"

produces the output:
Code:
2016-12-30 15:50:33 PST

which seems to be what you would want if you were located in the United States Pacific Standard timezone (which is where I'm located).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion from EPOCH timestamp to local time zone

hello gurus, i want a perl/shell script which once invoked should convert a set of EPOCH timestamps to local time ( IST..i want) . how does it work ,i have an idea on that..but writing a perl/shell script for it is not possible for me...so i need help for the same. my exact requirement is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to convert GMT to Asia/Hong Kong time

hi friends, this is my first time with this type of script so please pardon my ignorance. i have this script in which a piece of code needs to be added which can have the Asia/Hong kong time as well. system date and format is GMT so no problem with GMT and even EST is covered..i have ato add new... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xejatt
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

change time mode from BST to GMT

I want to know how to change the time zone from BST to GMT avoid the daylight savings in hp-ux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
3 Replies

4. AIX

Convert UTC time to local time ?

Hello, Using AIX6.1 box. I have UTC time value and need to convert it to local time value - I mean time zone and DST should be taken into consideration. I hope it could be done using shell environment - I don't want to write a program. thanks Vilius ---------- Post updated at 02:30 PM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UTC time and Local time

Hi, A few days ago I changed my CentOS box's timezone to -07:00. Now the date commands output look like this (run almost simultaneously, less than 1 second delay).. # date Mon Sep 5 20:23:40 PDT 2011 # date -u Tue Sep 6 03:24:05 UTC 2011 The hours difference seems correct, but why is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forte712
2 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Server Upgrade Scheduled for Today - 7:30 GMT (2:30 PM Eastern Time)

Dear All, Today, somewhere around 7:30 GMT (2:30 PM Eastern Time) www.unix.com will go down for what we hope is around 15 - 20 minutes as we change out some hardware on the server. Thank you for your patience and support. Neo (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

GMT to MST timestamp conversion

Hi Team, We have written a perl script to perform the GMT to MST timestamp conversion. Input: 2013-12-01T05:23:19.374 Output: need the given timestamp in MT (MST/MDT) #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Time::Local; #always gmt #my $tval = '2013-12-01T05:23:19.374'; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Local time to GMT time

Gents, Please can help with this. the column in red is the local time the column in blue is the GPStime 4153152529951 2/12/17 12:00:04.980 951 2960 41531.0 52529.0 1170882022980002 4108153261942 2/12/17 12:00:07.944 942 2959 41081.0 53261.0 1170882025944002 41511523611660... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert GMT date and time to CST

I need away to convert the following GMT date and time value RAW_TME= 042720171530 "mmddccyyhhmm" to Localhost time. In this case it is in central time. Here is what I came up with but it does not look efficient: RAW_TME=042720171530 logmm=`echo $RAW_TME | cut -c1-2` logdd=`echo $RAW_TME |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies
print(1)							   User Commands							  print(1)

NAME
print - shell built-in function to output characters to the screen or window SYNOPSIS
ksh print [-Rnprsu [n]] [arg]... ksh93 print [-Renprs] [-f format] [-u fd] [string...] DESCRIPTION
ksh The shell output mechanism. When no options are specified, or when an option followed by ' a - is specified, or when just - is specified, the arguments are printed on standard output as described by echo(1). ksh93 By default, print writes each string operand to standard output and appends a NEWLINE character. Unless, the -r, -R, or -f option is speciifed, each character in each string operand is processed specially as follows: a Alert character.  Backspace character. c Terminate output without appending NEWLINE. The remaining string operands are ignored. E Escape character (ASCII octal 033). f FORM FEED character. NEWLINE character. Tab character. v Vertical tab character. \ Backslash character. x The 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2-, or 3-digit octal number x. OPTIONS
ksh The following options are supported by ksh: -n Suppresses new-line from being added to the output. -r-R Raw mode. Ignore the escape conventions of echo. The -R option prints all subsequent arguments and options other than -n. -p Cause the arguments to be written onto the pipe of the process spawned with |& instead of standard output. -s Cause the arguments to be written onto the history file instead of standard output. -u [ n ] Specify a one digit file descriptor unit number n on which the output is placed. The default is 1. ksh93 The following options are supported by ksh93: -e Unless -f is specified, process sequences in each string operand as described above. This is the default behavior. If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -f format Write the string arguments using the format string format and do not append a NEWLINE. See printf(1) for details on how to specify format. When the -f option is specified and there are more string operands than format specifiers, the format string is reprocessed from the beginning. If there are fewer string operands than format specifiers, then outputting ends at the first unneeded for- mat specifier. -n Do not append a NEWLINE character to the output. -p Write to the current co-process instead of standard output. -r Do not process sequences in each string operand as described above. -R If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -s Write the output as an entry in the shell history file instead of standard output. -u fd Write to file descriptor number fd instead of standard output. The default value is 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 Output file is not open for writing. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), printf(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Mar 2008 print(1)