Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Can I combine below mentioned grep commands using OR (when searching strings having spaces) Post 302988424 by RavinderSingh13 on Monday 26th of December 2016 08:29:48 AM
Old 12-26-2016
Hello Tanu,

Could you please try to use grep's -E option by joining both searches with | only and let me know how it goes then.

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

combine two vg spaces

Hello, I'm a newbie on this AIX/Unix. I'm trying to combine the space of /testing1/ to /testing2/, so that /testing2/ may have more space. How do I accomplish this? I guess I have to unmount /testing1/ from /apple26lv first... but after that I'm not sure how this can be accomplished? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchiang12
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine Two Commands Output

How i can combine output of two commands in one file.......i tried this but it is not working although each command is working good seperately..... head -1 filename | tail -1 filename i think there is problem with command concatenator? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: 33junaid
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine commands

Hi, i tried to combine grep with find and it didnt work grep 'find dirname filename" i also would like that the file will be sorted in the way. thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spoiler
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine two lists From Multiple Grep commands.

I'm working with a file with an xml structure. I'd like to parse it down to just the bits i want. Here is and example of the file <message id="96352877" method="status"> <date rfc="Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:13:15 -0600" unix="1299967995" /> <services> <service id="facebook"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erulisseuiin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I combine these two commands into one?

sed -e :a -e 's/<*>//g;/</N;//ba' a2.html -removes html tags and sed -i 's/YOURS TRULY/Joe Bob/' a2.html Replaces a string with another string can i make it into one string? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine two variable strings?

Hi, I have two variables pscmd="ps -exf | grep " pid=15560 When I say var=$( $pscmd $pid ) echo $var it shows output of all processes on the OS rather than just 15560. So, i guess it only executes "ps -exf | grep " rather than "ps -exf | grep 15560" Can you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for string, but within mentioned bounds

Hi, I've been trying to filter a file which has several repetitions of lines which looks as follows: ('hello My name is jamie blabla xyz>>) Each line has different values in them. I want grep or awk or sed to treat everything within the (' and >>) as one line and then filter for a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for all ip addresses mentioned in all files in a Directory

I wish to traverse all files and folders under a given directory say "/tmp/configuration" and for all ip address mentioned therein. I tried find ./ -type f | xargs grep "*.*.*.*" but it does not populated the correct results. Can you please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine 2 Commands

Hello, I have the following code. I wonder if it can be combined into 1 command. y=`ls -1| tail -n 1` m=${y%.abc} Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)