Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash directory loop and order by creation date? Post 302987796 by ZerO13 on Friday 16th of December 2016 04:53:00 AM
Old 12-16-2016
Thats all great but how to implement it into this bash script??

Code:
#!/bin/bash 
for folder in /home/test/* 
do 
if [ -d "${folder}" ]; then 
echo $folder; 
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep by range of date from file creation in directory

Hi Expert, Need your scripting and finding data so that it help me to find the culprit of this memory usage error. Data provided here is a sample. Process Snapshot directory: /var/spool/processes-snapshot webdev9o9% pwd /var/spool/processes-snapshot webdev9o9% ls -lrct -rw-r--r-- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creation date of a directory

what's the command to find the creation date of a certain dirctory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miss_dodi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one directory to another based on creation/modification date

Hi All, Really stuck up with a requirement where I need to move a file (Lets say date_Employee.txt--the date will have different date values like 20120612/20120613 etc) from one directory to another based on creation/modification dates. While visiting couple of posts, i could see we can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files, those can be present anywhere in the directory tree,based on its creation date

Hi I am unable to find files, those are present anywhere in the same directory tree, based on the creation date. I need to find the files with their path, as I need to create them in another location and move them. I need some help with a script that may do the job. Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam192837465
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create new directory by date followed by identifier and additional subdirectories

I have a bash that downloads a list and if that list has data in it then a new main directory is created (with the date) with several subdirectories (example1, example2, example3). My question is in that list there are portion of specific file types (.vcf.gz) - identifier towards the end that have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash directory loop, but only choose those folders with specific word in it

Hello, how in bash i can get directory loop, but only choose those folders with specific word in it, so it will only echo those with specific word #!/bin/bash for filename in /home/test/* do if ; then echo $filename; fithx! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZerO13
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copy files in order of creation date

Hi everyone :-) I ran into a small issue. I would like to copy some files in the precise order they were created. So the oldest files should be copied first and the newest ones last. I tried cp -r $(ls -1t) ./destination but the files are still not sorted properly. I was thinking, that... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: officiallyme
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reason for no directory creation date

i read here that linux provides no way to determine when a directory was created. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/157874-creation-date-directory.htmlI have a directory /home/andy/scripts that had a README file in it. That file says I put the script in that directory and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with date in bash script for loop from YYYYMMDDHHMM

Hi everyone I need some help I want to create an script which does some processing it takes the two arguments 201901010000 and 201901020200 - so YYYMMDDHHMM I want to split processing into hours from start until end, I dont get why this works but when I add to a future variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
1 Replies
sortm(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sortm(1)

NAME
sortm - sort messages (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
sortm [msgs] [+folder] [options] OPTIONS
Specifies the name of the header field to use when making the date comparison. If you have a special field in each message, such as Deliv- ery-Date:, then the -datefield switch can be used to tell sortm which field to examine. If you do not give this option, the default is to use the Date: header field. Prints a list of all the valid options to this command. Displays the general actions that it is taking to place the folder in sorted order. The -noverbose option performs these actions silently. The default is -noverbose. The default settings for this command are: +folder defaults to the current folder msgs defaults to all -datefield date -noverbose DESCRIPTION
The command sortm sorts all the messages in the current folder into chronological order according to the contents of the Date: fields of the messages. By default, sortm sorts all the messages in the current folder. You can select particular messages in the folder by giving a range of mes- sages. You can also sort messages in another folder by specifying the folder name. If sortm encounters a message without a Date: field, or if the message has a Date: field that sortm cannot parse, it attempts to keep the message in the same relative position. However, this does not always work; for instance, if the first message encountered lacks a date which can be parsed, then it will usually be placed at the end of the messages being sorted. When sortm complains about a message which it cannot order, it complains about the message number prior to sorting. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your MH directory EXAMPLES
The following example sorts all the messages in the folder +meetings: % sortm +meetings The next example sorts messages 10-30 in the folder called +test: % sortm +test 10-30 FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
folder(1) sortm(1)