Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How-to verify if my package installed successfully Post 302987423 by Don Cragun on Friday 9th of December 2016 03:29:00 AM
Old 12-09-2016
You do it with pkgadd the same way you do it with every other command... You check the man page for the utility in question to see what exit code it produces when it succeeds. You run the command. You check the exit code after the command completes. And, if the exit code matches the exit code listed on the man page for that utility for successful completion, then you know the command succeeded; otherwise, it failed.

As with about 99.44% of utilities, pkgadd exits with exit code 0 if it completed successfully. Of course, the way you check the exit status varies depending on the shell you use (and you haven't bothered to tell us what shell you use). If we make the wild assumption that you're using sh, ksh, bash, or /usr/xpg4/bin/sh (or another shell based on Bourne shell syntax), you could try something like:
Code:
pkgadd -a $INSTP/install/dadmin -d $INSTP/install/apachesrv.pkg>/tmp/install.log
ec=$?
if [ $ec -eq 0 ]
then	echo 'pkgadd succeeded'
else	echo "pkgadd failed as indicated by diagnostics above and exited with exit code $ec"
fi
exit $ec

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Successfully Installed Solaris 8 after all.

Hello There, Aftar all i successfully installed Solaris 8 on my Primary Slave 2nd Hard disk. Here what i did. I kept my first hard disk (Windows Me) on primary Master and put my new 2nd hard disk on Primary Slave, CDROM is on Secondary slave. When i install solaris8 it ask me two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Verify Hardware installed on HP-UX 11

Hi - Basic question from newbie I need to find out how to verify hardware installed on HPUX server. Mid-range server - as in i need to prove to customer that a specific cpu is installed, so much memory is installed, etc. PLEASE HELP. TA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoffies
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Verify Hardware installed HP-UX11

Hi - Basic question from newbie I need to find out how to verify hardware installed on HPUX server. Mid-range server - as in i need to prove to customer that a specific cpu is installed, so much memory is installed, etc. PLEASE HELP. TA (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoffies
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I verify the integrity of a package? And how do I configure yum to add a site

How do I verify the integrity of a package? And how do I configure yum to add a site (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to verify sqlplus not installed on solaris

i want to write shell script that exit by displaying error if sqlplus is not installed. The platform is oracle10g on solaris sparc. I tried the which sqlplus command, but it returns errorcode 0 even sqlplus is not installed. Kindly help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmunir
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to package my program which can be installed on HP UX

I develop a unix program in HPUX I want to package my program to install on HPUX in some dierctory folder like /user/local/sbin/xxx and preinstall some software before install my program package like xxx.depot how can i do it, have any tools like use setupfactory tools in windows ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Download same package as installed

Hi gurus, how to (just) download already installed package ? I tried sudo apt-get -d install putty but gives me Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done putty is already the newest version. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Package needs to be installed for using pam_mkhomedir.so?

Hi, What is the necessary package that needs to be installed for using pam_mkhomedir.so in pam.conf file? And from where can i get that file? Is that package already shipped with Solaris 10? Because when i use that file i am getting "open_module: stat(/usr/lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathya47
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to verify the current NIC driver version installed in RHEL5.3??

Guys, Can you help me how to verify the current installed NIC driver version in RHEL5.3? Thanks.:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shtobias
1 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem when trying to remove a package using rpm command - error: package is not installed

Hello, i have installed a package by using the command sudo rpm -i filepackage.rpm package filepackage is already installed when i try to remove it, i get an error saying "is not installed": sudo rpm -e filepackage.rpm error: package filepackage is not installed How can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
4 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)