Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to make a dynamically linked executable file? Post 302987396 by steezuschrist96 on Thursday 8th of December 2016 06:53:35 PM
Old 12-08-2016
How to make a dynamically linked executable file?

So I have a file called queens.cc and I need to do the following:
  1. Compile and make a .o file while specifying that the compiler is to search /student/214/include for system include files.
  2. Use g++, link and load .o file to make a dynamically linked executable file called queens and to also search the directory /student/214/lib.

I have my include files located in /student/214/include and a dynamically linked library in /student/214/lib/libqueens

This is what I've tried:
Code:
g++ -c -o queens.o queens.cc -I/student/214/include

Which gives me
Code:
queens.o queens.cc

For the second part this is what I've tried:
Code:
g++ -o queens queens.cc -L/student/214/lib/libqueens

I'm stuck on how to link and load queens.o to produce a dynamically linked executable file, how can I do this? Did I compile my .o file incorrectly? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:35 PM ----------

Nevermind I figured it out.
I used:
Code:
g++ -L/student/214/lib -I/student/214/include -Wall -o queens queens.cc -lqueens

to make an executable.

Last edited by rbatte1; 12-09-2016 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Converted to formatted number-list

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically linked file

Hi friends , how do i view a dynamically linked file in unix ? its there on other system and do i have to ftp it in ASCII format or binary ? and after the ftp how do i view it ? thanks in advance veeras (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sveera
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dynamically linked file

Hi friends, i have a dynamically linked file on my solaris system.this is script that runs regularly. How can i read the contents of that ? when i tried to say "vi filename " then it says executable and nothing is seen. Please help. thanks in advance Veera (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
5 Replies

3. Solaris

How to make a script executable by all users?

I have a script in my home direcroty which upon execution gives the essential system information like memory,cpu etc and is currently owned by root:root. Now I want to see that every non root user will run this file and grab the reqired system info. I know this is some thing associated with chown... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
2 Replies

4. Programming

setuid bit on user + dynamically linked libraries

hi all, i have a critical and specific problem with respect to set uid bit on user and the dll's for a binary, (under the userid A) it needs libraries from /usr/lib and informix libraries from $INFORMIXDIR/lib/esql but this binary should be kicked off from id B, hence s-bit on user is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

run and make an executable file

as i said before i'm a beginner in shell programming and i have two questions: how to run an executable file in shell scripts like for example let's say the file called "prog.exe", what's the shell command to run this file? also how can i make the shell file an executable file (if it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: _-_shadow_-_
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to make script executable

Hello everybody, I'm unable to make my shell script an executable file. The details are as follows: PATH includes my $HOME/bin i.e. /rchome/rc1/bin HOME directory is /rchome/rc1 script name is prep_mig.sh permissions set are 755 It's executing if I give below command sh prep_mig.sh but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitu.keshwani
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change the memory address of ld.linux-so in a dynamically linked process

hi, For some special reason , I'd like to control the memory address for the shared libraries in my dynamically linked process. And it is the "ld" which interpret the dynamically linked library, and in my system, the "ld-linux.so.2" is put at 0x00812000. Then I use "prelink -r" command to change... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool_08
0 Replies

8. Linux

change the memory address of ld.linux-so in a dynamically linked process

hi, For some special reason , I'd like to control the memory address for the shared libraries in my dynamically linked process. And it is the "ld" which interpret the dynamically linked library, and in my system, the "ld-linux.so.2" is put at 0x00812000. Then I use "prelink -r" command to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool_08
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script make itself executable

Is there a way to make this make itself executable? Thanks. :-) cat > somescript.sh << \EOF #!/bin/bash block_count=$(sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | awk '/^Block count:/ {print $NF}') reserved_block_count=$(sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | awk '/^Reserved block count:/ {print $NF}') perl -e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a .exe file executable in Linux?

Dear all, I download a .exe file in my current folder called: ukbmd5.exe. I was told to run the command below: ukbmd5 ukb25278.enc to verify the integrity of the files that you have downloaded and the program ukbmd5 has been made available to assist with decrpying ukb25278.enc. while when I run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forevertl
1 Replies
HF77(1) 							     LAM TOOLS								   HF77(1)

NAME
hf77, mpif77 - Compile LAM FORTRAN programs. SYNTAX
hf77 [-showme] ... see f77(1) (or whatever your underlying FORTRAN compiler is) for all other options. DESCRIPTION
hf77 is a convenience wrapper for the local native FORTRAN compiler. Translation of a LAM program requires the linkage of the LAM essen- tial services libraries which may not reside in one of the standard search directories of ld(1). hf77 passes its arguments along to the local native FORTRAN compiler along with the -L and -l options required by LAM/MPI programs. This includes all necessary options for ROMIO and/or C++ bindings support (if ROMIO/C++ support was included when LAM was compiled). mpif77 is now the same as hf77. See the NOTES section, below. By default, hf77 uses the FORTRAN compiler that was selected when LAM was configured (with the --with-fc flag to ./configure) as the local native FORTRAN compiler, but this can be overridden by the LAMHF77 environment variable. OPTIONS
-showme Does not invoke the underlying FORTRAN compiler. Instead, it shows the command line that would be executed to compile the FORTRAN program. NOTES
Previous versions of hf77 did not automatically link in the MPI library. Starting with LAM version 6.3, since hf77 has become the de facto LAM FORTRAN compiler, the -lmpi option is now automatically passed to the underlying compiler when linking LAM/MPI programs. Previous versions of LAM included the mpif77 wrapper script to automatically pass -lmpi to hf77. This script is now obsolete since hf77 now includes -lmpi automatically. mpif77 is now a symbolic link to hf77 to ensure backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
f77(1), ld(1), lam-helpfile(1) LAM 6.5.8 November, 2002 HF77(1)